What's new

Help please, audio issues with set up. (1 Viewer)

devilward

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Hi all, I have a strange sort of problem, could use some help troubleshooting. I hope this is the appropriate forum. My current set up is an AV Receiver hooked up to a PS3 and cable set top box, both via HDMI. Another HDMI cord then runs from the AVR to my HDTV. Here's the issue: Right now, the PS3 runs fine, no audio or video issues, and I've been using it to troubleshoot the cable set top box. When I switch the AVR to the cable box, the video comes through fine, but I have no sound whatsoever. I've swapped HDMI cables between the PS3 and Cable box: PS3 still had no issues, Cable box still had no audio. I swapped HDMI outlets (HDMI1 to HDMI2) on the AVR: PS3 still had no issues, Cable box still had no audio. So at this point, I ruled out the physical cords and the AVR as issues. I'm thinking to myself, ok, the cable set top box is just messed up and won't do audio. Just to check, I disconnected the cable box from the AVR entirely, and ran the cable HDMI cord directly into the TV... voila! sound and video! Except the sound now comes from the TV speakers and not through the AVR/sound system. Any idea what on earth I can do to get the sound to come from the AVR/sound system? Thanks for any help you can provide.

devilward

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Assuming DD means Dolby Digital: Yes the STB gives me HDMI and Dolby Digital as options under audio, and I've tried setting each

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe DD over HDMI is bad. Your TV would be "dumbed down" to PCM no matter what. Switch to a component/toslink connection. If that works and HDMI does not, get a new STB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks