What's new

help on building dipole surrounds (1 Viewer)

Sam_Walls

Grip
I want to build a set of dipolar surround sound speakers. The speakers that i am going to use is a 6ohm Vifa speaker (part# 299-492) and a 8ohm Dayton Audio 1/8 tweeter (part# 275-075).

My receiver (Sony STRDE895) puts out 110 watts @ 8ohms. So will it be ok to run a 8ohm tweeter and a 6 ohm speaker.

So when building dipole surrounds how would i build the enclosure. Mostly how much airspace is needed for these speakers. I know one speaker and tweeter are wired out of phase of another. Does there need to be a divider in the middle of the enclosure? Also should surrounds be ported of sealed?

Lastly what about the crossove, what kind of crossover should i use? Do surrounds need different crossovers than front speakers?

Thank you for your time,

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,
I have a few pics of the DiPoles I built for my theater. http://www.keelercables.com/keeler_theatre.htm This may help get your mind thinking. One thing you can do if you are not comfortable designing the enclosure and/or crossover network yourself is you can contact Madisound ( http://www.madisound.com/ ), and they will design the crossover and give you the recommended enclosure specs using a program called LEAP for about $35.00. Just tell them the drivers and design you are needing and the take it over from there. Hope this helps. Shawn Keeler

Sam_Walls

Grip
awesome. Another ? is it ok to use 6 ohm speakers and 8 ohm tweeters? would it be better to use the same ohm configuration?

Sam_Walls

Grip
My reciever is puts out is rated at 110 watts at 8ohm for the rear surrounds and center channels. SO i think 8 ohm final load will be best,

sam

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I don't think I've ever seen a dipole with a single woof and a single tweet. If you look at Shawn's there are two tweeters firing on different axes. If you're looking for a high dispersion two driver/two-way solution consider having the woofer fire forward and the tweeter fire up or to the side at an angle. Or pick up a copy of Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and build his surround speakers (which has 3 drivers btw). You're not going to have a dipole design by simply wiring the woofer and tweeter out of phase. Your receiver is "rated" at an 8 ohm load but I'm sure it would handle +-4 ohms either direction on the effects channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks