What's new

Help on amp upgrade options (1 Viewer)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
I want to improve the sound of the 2 channel stereo of my HT system but am not sure what the biggest bang for the buck will be. Here is what I have now:

Yamaha 2200 HT receiver. Advertised at 100 x 6.

Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. (90db)

19 x 15 room with catherdral ceilings.

Options up to $1200.

1 - Add an external amp such as Rotel, Parasound, Oddessy.

2 - Upgrade to a higher end receiver.

3 - Others ???

I have some concerns though. Will adding an external amp really improve the sound? Will using the Yamaha as a preamp defeat the purpose?

Anyone have experiance/pain of this sort? Thanks.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Adding an amp is not an option, it is a nescessity.

Studio 100 are famous for taking good advantage of good amp. Loo at parasound 1500HTA - used only, shoudl be had for 500$. Then consider adding a nice SVS sub for rest of $$. This way you are migrating to separates...

Enjoy 100 + amp.

_zjt

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I do have a sub. I just did not mention it to keep the posting short. No, it is not a Paradigm although I wish it was.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
:D I have heard good things about the 2200, what is it that you seem to be lacking in stereo mode, and do you have a stereo "direct" mode. Although adding an external amp isnt a bad idea. I personally use 3 channel Acurus to run the front 3 channels off of my Denon. Extra amping will make a difference though.

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
The 2200 seems to be okay but I used to have a Yamaha 995 that acutally sounded better. Maybe it has to do with the damping factor. The 2200 is only 80 while the 995 was 160. The 2200, even in "direct" stereo mode, sounds lighter, less umph.

The operations (remote, controls, options, etc) all work very well with the 2200 but there is another thing that bugs me about the unit. It does not appear to support the Digital Dolby EX standard. Instead, Yamaha seems to have implemented their own 6.1 decoding of DD EX DVDs.

I'm not exactly sure if the 2200 is a keeper at this point but my only other options, without loosing money, are Denon & B&K. And I'm not exactly thrilled about their offerings at this point.

I could spend another $1000 and bump up to the next level receiver but I think I'd rather put it towards a 2 channel amp to supplement a receiver.

Decisions, decisions...

Opinions???

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
If oomph is what you are missing perhaps adding a few db,s to your sub level (volume) might help. Hard to say. I would personnaly try the Denon (I am assuming 3802). I cant see going from 995 to 2200 and having a negative sound change. Have you checked all your connections to make sure all your speakers are hooked up in phase ( + to +, - to -) ypour sub phase switch/knob hasnt been turned. I would recheck my connections - all it takes is one speaker. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks