What's new

Help..new X-mas Toys (1 Viewer)

Tommy L

Auditioning
Happy Holidays everyone...I picked up a new system for the family for X-mas thinking that setup would be a snap(1st mistake). After 4 hours of trying to set things up, I'm totally befuddled! My system consists of the following components: Sony KV-32FS100 t.v.
Sony DVD/VCR combo-SLV0300P
Denon AVR-2801 receiver
Scientific Atlanta cable box
Bose Acoustimass 600
So far I've got the t.v. connected to the receiver by a single pair of audio cables...I've got sound but no onscreen menus(assumedly because of no Video connection?)The only Video out on the t.v. seems to be a S-Video port.I've read that all component connections for the Denon must be the same...I'm assuming therefore that all my connections must be S-Video with the accompanying audio connections? I'm just not sure on how or what the system builds around...the receiver or the t.v.
The DVD Combo has me confused as well...Do I need to setup both sides or only one. Must I go through the receiver or set it up directly to the t.v.? As you can tell, I've thought myself into a tailspin. If the wealth of knowledge on this forum can get me up and running, I would be eternally grateful. Could someone walk me through the basics? What do I need to buy for cables,etc.? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
COnnect the DVD/VCR (both audio and video) to the DVD input of your receiver(if it has separate connections for dvd and vcr, hook each up to it's corresponding input on the receiver) Same for the Cable box(both audio and video to your receivers tv input). Then run a video only cord from the receivers video out to your tv's video in.
As for types of connections, it does greatly simplify operation if you can keep both the dvd, vcr and cable box connected using the same type of connection(i.e. s-video, composite or component), but it can be done with different types of connections. You just have to run one of each type that you use from your receiver's video out to your tv's video in. if you have an s-video input on your tv, you should also have composite video inputs as well.

Tommy L

Auditioning
Thanks Steve...my question on the DVD/VCR combo is this...on the rear left panel, the outputs are marked for DVD and VCR(yellow,red,and white)...apparently one output for both. On the right side are the outputs marked DVD only(S-Video,optical,or color composite). Do I need to wire both sides of the outputs? Thanks for your explanation. I just need a basic mapping of the setup as all of my manuals seem to leave a corresponding step out when you try to combine all of the components...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Not super-familiar with combo units, but you may have to connect both sides, as you need to use a digital audio connection (optical, or a digital coax[has a single orange RCA plug]) to the receiver to get Dolby Digital, or DTS, otherwise you will only be getting stereo.

You should also use the best video transmission method to your TV that you can with DVD. Since you have a standard definition TV, then you don't need to use component, though I would use at least S-video to connect to your TV.

You don't need to feed video through your receiver, though it may be easier to do video switching that way, or if you run out of inputs on your TV, for instance.

Lastly, you may want to return the bose speakers, and buy something else instead.

good luck!

Tommy L

Auditioning
Thanks Chris...I think that I will run the DVD through the receiver per your setup. Can I bypass the receiver and hook up the VCR side directly to the monitor as it is stereo and I don't gain anything? Also, how do I go about hooking up my digital cable box...Specifically my antenna hookup. I'm assuming that it comes out of box to DVD/VCR deck...then out from deck to monitor...Sorry if this question is stupid...just want to make sure that I have everything hooked up right...Thanks!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Are you talking about the video or the audio? Again, you can run the video directly to the TV, or you can run it through the receiver so it does the video switching.

For the audio, definitely run it to the receiver, as you can get much better sound there than with TV speakers, even with bose, and you can also apply Pro LogicII to get surround from stereo tapes.

Youd cable box, run the audio to the reciever. Again, you can run the video directly, or through the receiver, either way.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Tommy L

Auditioning
Thanks...I didn't realize that I could improve the sound of the VCR...thought I was stuck with the stereo output only...Duh!! I think that I'm starting to understand the basics of this setup. Everything goes into the receiver and just the S-Video out to the monitor(and Audio out from the monitor). I may need a little help with the assignment of inputs etc. when I get to it. I picked up my cables on the way to work so hopefully I can get all up and running in the next couple of days. I appreciate everyone's help!!!Thanks again...

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy, I have the same DVD/VCR combo. The way I'm running mine is I have the Optical connection from the DVD side to the Optical on my reciever. Then I run the RCA jacks white and red) from the VCR side to the Audio in on my reciever. I also have the RCA jacks from the DVD side running directly to the TV, that way I can see and hear a DVD w/o having to turn on the whole system. Good Luck.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Tommy L

Auditioning
Thanks Johnny...Do you have cable connected in anyway through this thing(VCR side) for recording purposes? I'd like to hear your configuration if so...Like the signature,by the way!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.