What's new

Help Needed !!! calibrating Wega with JVC 70BK (1 Viewer)

Jonnie M

Agent
I just recently purchased a JVC 70BK dvd player to replace my old Sony 550, which is being used on a Wega XBR400.

When i first hooked up the JVC the picture seemed too vivid, don't know if that would be the correct word to use, I realize the progressive output is suppose to be more vibrant but it seemed almost to the point where i was losing detail. I had long before, hooking up the JVC, changed the axis, etc... in the service menu and had the set calibrated using Avia paired with my old Sony player. So i began to re-calibrate using Avia paired with the JVC in the progressive mode, as well as the TV.

After recalibrating, the picture seemed very soft and colors were not nearly as distinct, not to mention it changed the entire look of my cable, but thats kind of irrelevant. I've tried many discs, and one problem in particular, is with Ep 1 as the lightsabers don't seem as striking and during the desert scenes there seems to be a graininess in the sky. As well as other discs i have tried which all seem muted since i re-did Avia. Now could this be a problem with the picture setting, brightness, sharpness? Being as those are the ones i seem to have the toughest time getting a distinct read on?

If someone is using the same equipment i would really apreciate it if they could give me there settings, i need a new starting point as i have screwed up the picture enough by myself. I have also read most of the other posts regarding this player and it seems that the best thing to do is leave the user modes for the JVC alone, so i have not touched that, one thing i don't think i could have caused a problem with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jon

BTW i apologize if this should be in the TV and Projector section

I used the User1 setting to change the output of the 70bk player and haven't changed the settings for the tv. My avia based settings using my old sony dvd player made cable look great so I kept those settings. I would lower everything in the User setting so that it is neutral (Brightness, Contrast, and sharpness were all set to max on my 70bk player). From there lower the sharpness to one notch above minimum and gamma one notch higher than neutral. Start there and work your way changing settings a little bit at a time. Your settings will be different than these, but they should get you started. Overall, use your old dvd player to set the tv and then set the JVC so that it looks good. Don't use the JVC as your starting point or you'll end up with a really crappy picture for cable/dbs and vcr.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Jonnie M

Agent
Thanks for the advice. I recalibrated again using my old player and it looks much better, but i still haven't had a chance to play around with the JVC user modes, hopefully this will help the picture in progressive mode.

It's a little off topic and this should probably be in the TV section, but, like i said i have already set the axis and such, but i'm not quite sure how to set these controls for the 480p output. Would i just switch from interlaced to progressive in the menu mode? So if axis is 1 in interlaced and i switch to progressive and the axis is still 1 then the progressive signal is correct as well?

Thanks agian,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks