What's new

Help! My TV Won't Shut Off!! (1 Viewer)

Andy_S

Second Unit
I got home tonight and went to turn the TV off and it turned itself back on again. I tried the remote and the power button on the set itself and it just turns back on. I even tried using the TV's timer to try to turn it off and it was no good. I unplugged the set for about 20 minutes and as soon as I plugged it back in it turned on. What's the deal? What causes this? It's an analog 36" Toshiba that's about 5 years old.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Did you by any chance happen to watch a videotape with a kind of glowing ring with a bunch of trippy short clips?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You need a new remote control.

Get yourself a Freedom Arms FA-83-454AS.

That'll get anything to turn off.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Place a couple Silica packs on top of the TV. They will absorb all of the energy from the set causing it to turn off. Just make sure you don't have any salsa nearby.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Apparently all I had to do was post here because now it's working again. My theory is the huge amount of smartass particles in this thread absorbed the "bad" particles in my TV.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, if it turns on while being unplugged, then we've got problems.

So this thread absorbed the particals right up, basically sucking the power right out of the TV.

In other words, this thread sucks.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Actually, when I was a kid, I was staying with a buddy who had an old TV in his bedroom that we'd leave on all the time, hardly ever turned it off. One day, he was trying to turn if off and he turned the knob, but it wouldn't turn off. Pulled the plug... and it stayed on for a good 20 minutes. THAT was freaky.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm no electrician, but perhaps the TV had a power overload since it was on so much and had to wear it off.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Count yourself lucky, Andy. My damn TV won't turn ON!!!

Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I believe the display in question is a 1999 Toshiba CZ36V51. Fine set in its day. And heck if I care if this thread is in After Hours.

StephenA

Screenwriter
One of my old TVs kind of had a problem with shutting off. I had lost the changer to it so I had to use the buttons on the TV itself. Sometimes when I'd turn it off from the off button on the TV it wouldn't turn off or would turn right back on by itself. It was a very old TV and got alot of use so I figured that was the problem. I finally trashed it and got a new one.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

We better consult with Homer to be sure. The self-proclaimed expert speaks for himself when he says, "I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one. And there's Magnetbox, and Sorny."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks