What's new

Help....My Receiver Keeps Turning Off (1 Viewer)

StephenGencs

Agent
On Friday I got a 5.1 set up finally. I have had a decent Marantz SR-6200 receiver for some time now, but never any surround speakers....

So I set up the speakers and ran all my cables and now my receiver keeps shutting off. I am assuming there is a short somewhere, or it is going into "safe mode". I have checked all the connections and cant seem to find what the problem is.

Anyone have any advice....

Thanks
Gencs

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest disconnecting all the speaker wires to the receiver and then plug and test them one at a time until you find the short.

StephenGencs

Agent
thanks...
I am thinking that I may have found the problem....
and the error is so stupid, i am not going to post my idiocy...

gencs..

MikeGee

Second Unit
i'm guessing it was a reverse wire somewhere down the line..
I had my 1014 turn off when one of the speakers got disconnected (after a week of breaking it in.. then finally testing it out.. knocking the speaker right off the bookshelf and disconnecting it..)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I'd like to hear the problem. Mine recently started doing the same thing, but I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it yet.

MikeGee

Second Unit
I was thinking one reason the receiver could do this is at high volumes there is not enough power feeding into all of electronics and it shuts down as a safty feature... am i way off base here?

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
Receivers have protective circuits to shut down to protect the transistor finals. Too much current results in too much heat and without a protective circuit to save the transistors, you have a big repair bill.

Assuming the circuit is working correctly you need to determine the reason for excess current. Most likely a shorted wire. Keep in mind that at low volume levels such a short may not generate enough current to cause the receiver to go into its protective shut down mode. I once drove a nail into one of the speaker leads and only on certain loud volume demands would the receiver trip off.

Using low (4 ohm) impedance speakers or both the A and B speakers on at the same time (if you have a set of B speakers hooked up) might cause too much current demand on the receiver. Or it could be a shorted wire as I experienced.

By disconnecting all of the speaker wires and then reconnecting one at a time, you will eventually find the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks