Help my new 32" tv has a warped picture!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 10, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

So for some reason my new(ish) 32" Sharp tv has something wrong with its picture. For some reason the edges of the frame are bending in so it looks almost as if you are looking through a fish eye lens. Why is my tv doing this? [​IMG] Is it a power supply issue? I have a really good surge protector on it and the tv is calibrated using Avia. What's the problem? Do I have to have it replaced?
    James

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

This is a geometry problem which may or may not be correctable. Some TV sets use overscan to hide it. The controls you would use to fix it are generically known as horizontal and vertical linearity, and there may be more than two.

This looks like the problem where the electron beam slows down at the end of the scan line getting ready to retrace before the scan line is finished being drawn, and at the start of the scan line, doesn't get up to speed fast enough.

In the vertical direction the same problem can exist with the electronics that carry the electron beam down and retrace it back up the screen (rounded sawtooth sweep waveform).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

My new Loewes Aconda 38" set does the same damn thing, but I haven't had time to try and fix it. I figured it was an issue of the set being the largest direct view tube on the market, the the inherent problems that might cause.
    Thanks for the info Allan, now I know I'm not crazy and I know what to look for when trying to fix this.

4. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the adivce! So is there anything I can do to fix it or should I call the repair guy? The tv is still under warranty.
    James