help! my floppy disc disintegrated in my disc drive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Oct 24, 2001.

1. andrew markworthy

More accurately, the metal sliding cover came off. I've managed to get the disc out and the cover, but the little spring which makes the cover go back into place hasn't been retrieved.
    A very naive question - do I need to dismantle the machine to get at this tiny spring, or can it be left where it is? I put another floppy disc in to check if the drive worked, and the floppy disc seemed to read and store normally.

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If that spring is loose inside the drive then it might cause a problem, or you might be lucky. Who can say, really? [​IMG] For what its worth, how often do you actually use your floppy drive these days? Unless anyone has any suspicion that more than just the floppy drive is likely to get damaged by that loose spring I wouldn't worry; if it does eventually die then a new one is only about £15 or so, and since the dawn of bootable CD-RW I've rarely used my drive.
    [Edited last by Iain Lambert on October 25, 2001 at 07:42 AM]

4. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

This happened at a computer store I was in with mu uncle way back when he had a 486. ... The tech guy had to get a magnetised screwdriver to find the sliding door and spring from the drive. he did it right away, though.

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

6. andrew markworthy

Many thanks for the advice, guys.