Help me understand something on my new TX-NR818

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by 289FIACobra, Mar 11, 2013.

1. 289FIACobra

289FIACobra Extra

I purchased a new TX-NR818 over the weekend and short story, it works great, firmware all squared away, Audyssy MultiEQ calibration completed for now (when I get around to a 5.1 instead of the current 3.1, I'll do this again.) Movies sound spectacular, regained voices thanks to a center channel, and I now "FEEL" thumps from T-Rex or a helicopter rotor and of course, explosions, all while keeping the overall volume to normal listening :D So far, the only thing that confuses me is the OSD Setup will not display; as it stands, "HDMI Main" cable goes from the NR818, into the very first (top) HDMI /ARC port on my Panasonic 55" Viera. In order to view the Setup OSD, I have to change Input on the Panasonic Viera to the 2nd port, BD-DVD port, and then I proceed to go through the setup. I thought the setup should show up on the primary HDMI/ARC port and not have to change anything on the Panasonic Viera. Is there some configuration on the NR818 that I'm missing here? It's a small thing I guess but I need to understand what's going on and if this is normal or not. I printed out their manual and while some things were specified, there didn't seem to really be anything specific in terms of what to hook up; it simply states to connect HDMI-Main from the NR818 to the TV's HDMI port. Thanks in advance with any answers and things to try.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Do you get any onscreen info at all from the Onkyo? Specifically, if you turn the volume up on the receiver do you get a blue volume indicator at the bottom of your tv screen? There is an OSD (onscreen display) setting on page 74 of the manual--might help?

3. 289FIACobra

289FIACobra Extra

I'll review that page again. I don't recall if the vol. bar comes on. But I did try to follow their tips on setting it up and it pointed to pages 74 and 75.

4. 289FIACobra

289FIACobra Extra

I figured out the problem... it was me. On the Panasonic, I went to the Input and just looked at the menu... Input 1: Ant./Coax Input 2: Blue-Ray (HDMI1) Input 3: Xbox (HDMI2) ... DOH! It was staring me right in the face. My so-called brain was organizing Input 1, Input 2, Input 3, etc. as HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, but in fact, Input 1 really is the COAX connection on the Viera, and Input 2 is HDMI1. I am an idiot. I re-labeled Input 2 as "ONKYO".