What's new

Help me spend $250 on a Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think if I was in a hurry I'd try a couple of the Daytons and see whats up!!!!! SOunds good anyway.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Alright. I bought the Dayton from Parts Express. If I seem to have room for it, maybe I'll get another one down the line. Thanks for the help guys!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I didn't want to be too obvious because the sales rep asked me not to, but I thought you may have gotten my point. I read on this forum that someone had gotten it for $99 in January, so I called them up, they looked up past orders for me and found the order I was referring to. They just asked me not to tell the whole forum about it... I guess its too late for that!

Lanny_B

Second Unit
-------UPDATE-----------------------------------------

My Dayton sub that I bought just stopped working. :frowning:

What's the deal and what can I do? I don't know, but I need to order another sub tonight so that I'll have it in time for some DVD's coming out soon.

So, should I just order another Dayton sub, or is there something better for the price?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Lanny,

1) In a small room like that one 10" sub, or even a good 8" sub, should be enough to cause a decent amount of fun rumbly stuff for your movies. A 10"/$375 Velodyne at Circuit City in a similar-sized room was powerful enough to almost literally knock tiles out of the ceiling when we were watching that 1970s-era "Earthquake" movie on dvd.

2) Using two subs is asking for trouble: placing one sub in the best acoustic location and adjusting the level/crossover points is tricky enough but two could cause a major hair-pulling incident (mostly this has to do with the two subs interacting with each other in unpredictable ways). I personally wouldn't attempt this unless you really enjoy fussing with audio equipment.

3) What kind of movies or music do you watch/listen to regularly? This helps a lot when deciding on a subwoofer.

Just out of curiosity since I like Infinity speakers, what exactly did you not like about that Infinity sub? What size was it: 8", 10", or 12" woofer? How did it "blow out"?

Edit: what exactly happened to the Dayton?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Explain, Dayton stopped working???

It just quit working, lights still on but no sound, makes awful noise, smoke came out, it stinks/smells nasty now, etc.????

How was it hooked up, line level or speaker level inputs????

Was the system speakers and sub calibrated????

If your system is not calibrated, (Rat Shack Spl meter and at least receivers test tones), or better yet with a proper HT-calibration disc like Avia, VE, Sound & Vision,,,,; "many" new to this HT stuff have a tendency to run their sub/s extremly hot = to loud.

If you bought the Dayton-10 TM-II new, PE will stand by it fully, even if it's your fault for it's demise. Call them (PE), to see how to go about getting a replacment & trouble shoot a possible problem with any number of things with your broken sub.

This is a well documented sub here and the latest version has seen little or no problems aside from user abuse. Not saying this is the case here, just letting you know it's an excellent product that has seen little in the way of problem units.
The + or - wire could have come off the driver, who knows....Easy fix if so.
On a side note:
If not already, you might find it helpfull to read the beginers FAQ Primer that can answer just about any question in regards to proper system set up; and even help trouble shoot some problems in your set up you may not be aware of.

Just a thought:
Before making a quick decision on your sub, call PE and ask for the tech department...You may have a very simple problem that can be fixed by yourself very easily. If it ends up being a more serious sub problem, then PE will take care of you, or you can just return it and move on. (If it's the driver or amp thats blown) they many/most times just send you a new part. Instalation of either is pretty straight forward.

You'll be very hard pressed to find a better sounding, built, spl producing & lower Hz reaching sub for the "minamal money out lay", (this) along with a company that stands behind their products 100% to boot.
When/if purchased on sale, no question it's the best entry level sub out their period, competing/beating subs 2-3 times it's 100.00 sale price...Their will be some that might argue that, but given the many many threads related to this sub, it speaks volumes to and about it's abiltys!

Note:
Also, they-PE don't La-Tee-Dah around taking care of a problem either!

Cheers
Geoff

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have the Dayton and it is an incredible sub for the price. I second Geoff, you have not had it that long. Call PE I am sure they can help you out.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Is there a Tweeter near you?

If so, they're blowing out the Velodyne DLS3750 for $249 until their remaining stock is gone. This sub retails for $500 and is very nice sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks