What's new

Help me sort a Sub Selection out... (1 Viewer)

Mark.D

Agent
I'd really like a THX speaker system and for the quality vx. $$$ issue, I'm probably going to go with the M&K THX750 package for $1999 from http://www.superaudiovideo.com

This is the sub that comes in the package, which lists for $950 as a separate purchase:

The M&K sub is 125 watts...
Now forgive my naievity, I'm new and still researching my AV equipment... but why would I want a 125 watt sub for a grand... when I could get something like this?

An SVS Sub for a few bucks more, $1299 and I get this amp and BetterCables with it:

Lets see... 125 watt sub or 1000 watt sub? What part of this equation am I missing?
I not only intend to use the M&K THX750 speakers for movies but for playing music CD's and MP3's... So I want a sub that's not only good for movies but one that can jam the tunes as well?
What do y'all think?

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Umm I have a Velodyne HGS-10 and a REL Strata III 10" sub. The Velodyne has a 1000watt amp and the REL has a 100watt. The Velodyne is louder and plays lower but the REL sounds much tighter and smoother. But, I think i'd take the SVS over the M&K.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Mark,

Donald is right -- power isn't everything (of course, I don't think THX certification is everything either -- not that it's a bad thing, I just wouldn't make it the deciding factor). Still though, I would would be surprised if the SVS isn't the better way to go. To be fair here, I say this because my SVS is the best sub I've heard for under 5 grand, but I haven't heard the M&K.

-Robb

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The amp for the SVS is a 2 ch, 500 per channel, and you will only be using one channel for the sub.

Watts are meaningless without context. What one sub will need 2000W to do, another sub could do with less than 200W (the trade off is enclosure size, the 200W sub will be huge while the 2000W sub can be small).

But definately ditch the MX125 for a SVS, Hsu or Adire sub. You'll be very glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks