Help me save Mello Yello

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Allred, May 25, 2007.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Today I got word that Mello Yello has been discontinued for sale in the state of Michigan so basically whatever is left on the shelves right now is all that there will be.

I was calling around today, beginning with Coca Cola's consumer info line (which is 1-800-438-2653) and they told me that, to their knowledge, Mello Yello itself has not been discontinued as a product (only Diet Mello Yello will cease to be permanently) but they gave me some local numbers to distributors in the area which basically confirmed no more Mello Yello in Michigan for the time being apparently because Coke is pushing the shitty "energy drink" Vault. I even called distributors in Northern Indiana about this and the nearest ones apparently don't even have any in their warehouses.

What to do? What to do? Is this the beginning of the end for Mello Yello, my one and ONLY favorite soda or will Vault fizzle out and Mello Yello will make a comeback (at least in my area anyway)? This happened a few years ago when Coke tried out another shitty drink, Surge. That one failed so Mello Yello was sold once again but again they're trying to eradicate my favorite pop.

Even if Mello Yello was not discontinued nationwide but remained so in my area, it would essentially mean it was gone forever to me since how the hell could I find any? How far would I have to drive to buy some and more importantly, how would I know which stores even carry it????

So I'm asking all of you, as a MAJOR favor to me, even if you don't live in Michigan (or Indiana) or don't even drink Mello Yello, *please* write a letter to Coca Cola with words of support for it, encourage them to keep making it and for god's sake, actually advertise it. In my 31 years, I have never once seen a TV ad for Mello Yello.

Anyway, here is their address:

Industry and Consumer Affairs

Coca Cola Company

Dun 500

PO Box 1734

Atlanta, Georgia 30301

It would be a big help if you could encourage them to begin to distribute Mello Yello in Michigan again. Even if you don't live here you could say you have friends and relatives there who like the drink and want it back in stores.

Letters, if there are enough of them, can truly make a difference. Please help me on this one. Thank you.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Interesting. I've never even heard of the stuff. The last Mellow Yellow I recall was dried banana peels that people smoked.....but that was probably before you were born. I'll check out the store this weekend and see if they've got any.

Mort

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Mort must be a Dew drinker, like me. Ive heard of MY, but never had one.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Me neither. I've lived all over the Northeast (except Connecticut and Pennsylvania) and never run into it. What markets is it sold in?

6. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I'm in the same boat. I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere.

7. bobbyg2

bobbyg2 Supporting Actor

Hmm... How much are you willing to pay me if I sell you some from my store? [​IMG]

Nah, I'm kidding! [​IMG]

I haven't had Mellow Yellow in a while... And, I actually like Vault, as well as a lot of my co-workers...

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm still broken up over the demise of Vanilla Coke and Pepsi Vanilla (Pepsi was the better of the 2). Coke replaced theirs with something that had vanilla and something else together, which I didn't like as much and now that seems to have disappeared too.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    And I'm still broken up over the fact that when Coke got rid of New Coke, they really didn't bring back the original Coke. They did away with the cane sugar.

I also like Vault, so I won't join any effort that requires Vault to go away.

10. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I think Mello Yello is nasty. I won't miss it.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I didn't know they still made Mello Yello. I guess it has been discontinued here in the Northeast as well.

I know how you are feeling though. I like RC more than Coke or Pepsi, and finding it in the Northeast is almost impossible.

12. MarkHastings

You're thinking of Black Cherry Vanilla Coke....I don't know if you like diet sodas, but they just introduced Cherry Coke Zero as well as Vanilla Coke Zero.

How about the Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. That's pretty damn good!

And as far as missing discontinued sodas, I was in LOVE with both NY Seltzer and Snapple Sodas. Man, those were great!

But as for Mello Yello, I knew about it, but never had it. Isn't it basically Mt. Dew?

13. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yes, it is (or was) Coke's answer to Pepsi's Mt Dew, just like Mr. Pibb is to Dr.Pepper.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Mello Yello hasn't been sold around here for a few years. Back 10-15 years ago, a 20oz bottle of Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc... would cost $$.79-.99 and a 20oz Mello Yello was a quarter.

15. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III

Coke and Pepsi each dedicate part of their shelf space to temporary products that are there to satisfy the customer who is in the mood to try something different. Occasionally one of those products like Code Red Mountain Dew becomes so popular that the company keeps it but it's typical for them to be released in the spring and pulled in the fall.

16. MarkHastings

I've mentioned this a bunch of times in other threads, but it definitely bears repeating.

It's true - Shelf space is so valuable that competing companies have to put out tons of new flavors in order to justify more shelf space in the stores. If Coke just made Coke, the stores would only allow a small area for them to sell their product. But with a dozen flavors, the stores need to make more room (on the shelves) for Coke products, hence allowing Coke more presence (over the competition) in the stores. And (of course) the same goes for the other manufacturers. They're all trying to get the most product out there.

I guarantee you that most of the time, these companies care more about the products shelf presence and not whether the product will sell that well.

The same goes for any other product.

17. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

This doesn't require that Vault "go away" but rather to keep a product that it doesn't even compete with, namely Mello Yello.

As for the Mt. Dew comparisons, there are none. If you want liquid sugar that claims to be of the citrus variety then I suppose Dew is your brand (I remember when I was a kid and the dentists I saw always said dew was the WORST for your teeth.)

18. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I love Code Red..can only find it in convenience stores for some reason though.

I remember Mello Yello but don't think I've seen it in 20 years. Good stuff though and better than Mountain Dew from what I remember.

19. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick

Yea baby, thats what im talkin about!

20. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

wow, crazy talk around here. I just picked up 2 cases of Mello here in MN, so when you are up for a drive....Now a few months ago I needed to find TaB for someone and that was impossible to find, but now just 3 days ago I found 4 cases (and that was it)

It's amazing how select markets are for this stuff.