What's new

Help me pick a Screen for my X1!!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
OK... I'll be sitting about 14 feet from where I will have the screen. I'm not sure how large I should project my image, and I'm not sure what type of screen I should get. Here is a link to an ebay auction for various types and sizes... Help me... I'm clueless.

Joe

Search ebay for Item number: 3082111963 Thanks!

Dave Borgman

Agent
I recently purchased an X1 along with a Da-Lite modelB high contrast white matte 60" by 80".

My projector is about 13 1/2 feet from the screen.

I am able to control the light for the most part, and I am quite happy withg my setup.

Dave

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds great. I'm just wanting a pretty good screen. How close do you/can you sit to have a good picture?

Thanks
Joe

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm.... Let me know. Thx... Where is a good place to get a screen, and the right one, besides ebay?

Dave Borgman

Agent
I sit about 10'-13' from the screen. I don't think I'd want to sit much closer. Not sure where to buy online. I bought mine locally from a A/V company.

Dave

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I learned from hometheaterforum.com is that I need to guess at my screen selection... I think I'd have just as good a chance that way to find the right one, then to ask around. I seem to be getting very mixed answers.

Joe

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am not sure what you mean when you say "from hometheaterforum.com". Did you mean us or some other site?

We just added a new vendor to our site that sells some very good projection screens. Check them out at Carada Projection Screens.

As far as your seating distance vs. screen size you want your distance back to at least twice the screen width. For example 14 feet is 168 inches so your screen width shouldn't be over 84 inches.

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Got my Dalite from AVdeals.com. They have good prices on screens (with free ship)and they are very helpful too.

~ Lou ~ :D FP - WOW!! :D

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Ok...

What type do you suggest? Matt White, High Contrast Matte white, Video Spectra 1.5, Silver Matte, Glass Beaded, High Power. That is what da-lite has to offer. Hmm....

Joe

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Call Dalite direct and/or AVdeals.com and discuss the room, lumens, PJ, screen size, etc. Dalite uses a formula to recommend material, gain, etc. For my room, screen size and projector they recommended High Contrast Matte White (and it seems to work well although I have only watched two movies on it so far and have no other materials to compare it to - other than the sheet I used while waiting for the screen to arrive).

While I am certainly no expert on any of this, as I am a newbie, I have been reading these forums extensively and listened carefully to the advice from people at Dalite, etc. Video Spectra, I think, has a narrower view angle and has specific properties that promote better picture if you are sitting directly in front of the screen. I have read issues with glass bead too. I really suggest you call Dalite and/or Avdeals and discuss your specs with them. They do this all day long. If you are still unsure after getting their advice, post their suggestions here and on the screens forum at avsforum to see what the group has to contribute.

That's my best, as limited as a newbie can do - for now.
Good luck!
~ Lou ~ :D FP - WOW!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks