What's new

Help Me Name These Drawings (1 Viewer)

Andy_S

Second Unit
Hey everyone,

Over the years I've drawn a bunch of pictures and I've recently started posting them on the web to share with friends and family. On the site I've named each drawing but there are a few that are old and I don't remember the exact name of the model is. If you guys can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

The drawings can be found here:
http://www.saputofamily.com/art/

This is a list of the drawings I'd like to find a more accurate name for:

"Football" - 1994 Anyone know who number 27 of the NY Giants was in 1994??

"Soviet Bomber" - I drew this from a huge book of planes and I can't find it now. Anyone know what plane this is?

"World War II Bomber" - Same as above.

"Hot Rod" - Drew this off of a poster. What kind of car is this exactly?

Thanks for your help!

Andy

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The WWII bomber is a B-24 Liberator.

The Soviet bomber is a TU-95 "Bear".

Nice drawings! :emoji_thumbsup:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Wowsers, awesome pics! Anything I drew would merely look like a 2 yr olds scribbles. . maybe a stick-man on a good day ;)

Andy_S

Second Unit
Great. Thanks again guys. Until I can get a definate on the year for the car (if that's possible) I'll just call it a "Ford Coupe".

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Those are superb drawings, congratulations. I've always admired people who have art talent. I can't draw, but if I could, I think I would do little else. Very nice. Dave

Andy_S

Second Unit
Thanks Dave. I stopped drawing for years and have recently started again. I guess I just needed a break for a while. Now that I'm doing it again I'm not sure why I ever stopped. I love doing it and it beats sitting around watching TV (although nothing beats watching a good movie on a HT!).

Cary_H

Second Unit
Hot rod looks to be a Ford. It is not a '32, at least not the front. The body looks like the '32, but the front grille is not.
I think it was '33 where they went to a front grille that each side sat angled and converged to form a shallow peak in the middle. For sure '34. The body changed as well. I recall they were less boxy than the 32.

The earlier post nailed it on the Bear.
They were produced in a number of varients starting in the '60s, if not the late '50s. The Tu tells you it was from the Tupolev design group. The Bear moniker was coined by NATO for the type.
NATO derived codenames for Soviet aircraft starting with the first letter corresponding to their type. B for bombers, (Badger, Blinder, Bear, Blackjack, etc) F for fighters, (Fagot, Farmer, Flogger, Fishbed, Flanker, Fulcrum, Fishpot, Foxbat, Fitter, etc), and so on.
The Bear was initially introduced as a long range bomber. It is a swept wing turboprop driven by 2 contra-rotating props on each of 4 nacelles, each nacelle packing 2 turbines. (one turbine for each prop if I'm not mistaken) Once the jet age came along the major roles of the Bear became that of long-range maritime patrols, electronic and signals intelligence and surveillance.
Bears were routinely intercepted by U.S.A.F. Alaskan-based interceptors and their Canadian counterparts after "straying" into our airspace. One was never very far away from any U.S. Navy Carrier Groups on a deployment.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
It's hard to nail down the year of an early ford by looking for distinguishing features such as grille or fender design. Ford often changed stuff mid-year, or when they ran out of the previous years part. My Dad has this problem with his '41 AA Truck. Fortunately he has the title.

Play it safe, call it a '30s Ford :)

Andy_S

Second Unit
Thanks for all the great info. I remember seeing the TU-95 "Bear" in the book of planes and thought it looked awesome. Not sure what it was exactly. Something about the aluminum body and the look of planes just before the "jet age" always strikes me.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Hope no one minds me resurrecting an old post, but I'd just like say that I recently finished another WWII plane drawing and thought I'd post it here for thoughts or comments:

"Two of a Kind" - Graphite Pencil 11" x 14"

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Nice! I'm an art-school drop-out and I would never have the patience to do that kind of detail. How long do those drawings take you?

You're inspiring me to drag my drawing table out of the basement.

Andy_S

Second Unit
I think I put about 10-12 hours into this latest one.

Go for it! After a long break I find more pleasure in drawing now than I have in a looooong time.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Andy,
As a former fellow artist, congrats, nice work, I wish I could get my motivation back. After 5yrs and multiple letdowns and a complete disappointment in the system, I gave up with only 2 classes left for my bachelor's. Now 15 years later I look back and wonder...
I hope you get what you need out of your Art. It surely gives you great pleasure, and it looks as if you do the things you have great interest in.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Thanks Kevin. I find that when I paint/draw for pleasure I enjoy it much more than when it's a commissioned work. I've never considered art as a profession that I would enjoy since I really dislike people telling me what to draw. I draw only what I feel like drawing. What motivated me to drawing again was watching the extra's on the Lord of the Rings DVD. Alan Lee and John Howe are two of my favorite artists. I wish I had 1/1000 the amount of talent they have!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks