What's new

Help Me < My Reciever Is Saying Overload And Then Shutting Down (1 Viewer)

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
it has done this a few times, and its alwahys happened when I had a movie playign and some wires from speakers came loose, but now there are no wires loose,. Dad and I just got trough watching lord of the rings , fellowship, and it worked fine, and then I put a music cd in and turned it up realy loud and then it says overload
and its really hot at the top where the vents are ????

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, when the reciever gets too hot, it protects itself by shutting off.

This is caused by 1 of 3 problems:

- A speaker wire (on either end) has some loose bits of copper sticking out causing a short. This draws lots of current which results in heat.

- You dont have enough ventilation around the reciever. (Read the manual for space requirements)

- You are playing things extra-loud and have all your speakers defined as LARGE. Re-define most of your speakers as SMALL. If you have a self-powered subwoofer, all your speakers can be set to SMALL.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm guessing that your speakers are probably 4 ohm, and your receiver is meant to drive 8 ohm or higher.
A friend checked with Denon about his 2803 receiver. Denon said 8 ohm or higher for speakers. He told them he was looking at Polk Audio speakers that were 4 ohm. They told him if he used them with the Denon, and turned the volume loud, the receiver would get VERY hot and turn itself off! Exactly what you are experiencing.....
I don't know that this is your problem, but it sounds like it..........
Good luck!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Blow it out with an air compressor.. Dust inside any unit, causes thermal levels to be way higher than with no dust.

Give the reciever more breathing room. Most setups, have way to little ventalation.

Switch to higher impeadence / higher efficiency speakers.

Get a sub and/or cross your existing sub at a higher frequnecy, set all speakers to small.

All of these may help, or eliminate it all together...

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
i have all my speakers set as Large,

They are good speakers and they are 8ohm

I could used to turn music up really loud , and now when I came home it shut it self off once I got to -40 My reciever goes from - 99 to 0

And my speakers are good quality speakers

maybe its that soem wires are sticking out or something

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
i just now realized soemthing

I used to (last week) wired up my subwoofers in my tower speakers into another larger subwoofer, which I was just experimenting , tis not hooked up now , so its ends are just hangin from the subwoofer on the tower speakrs and are not connectied to anything, coudl this be it ?

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
no that ive gone back to it , I just now put lord of the rings in and turned the dbs to each channel up to 10 and turned it really loud, and watched it for 10 minutes, it didnt shut off or anything

the cd I was tyring to play earlier is a burned mp3 cd, maybe the volume was to immense or somethigni when i burned it

Would it help if I also put a small radio shack fan on top of my reciever to either blow air in , or out ? since it seems to be doign it when its hot

very6 odd indeed

its the only cd that it is doing it on

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i realized lol
it doesnt do it when I have all the speakers set to small , which is fine , but now I am going to have to get a subwoofer, I was looking so forward now that I got my tower speaker in for my center speaker to set all my speakers large, THE SOUND that come out of them is incredible until it shuts off ,

I guess Im going to have to buy a subwoofer , I am looking at the Cerwin Vega 15 Inch 200 watt speaker, I Have one cerwin vega speaker and I like it

Users who are viewing this thread