What's new

Help me, I have a virus!!! (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Well, there's a first time for everything. I finally got my first virus. I tried the usual Norton Anti-virus, but I couldn't even get it to start up. So I did a search at this forum and found someone to recommend the AVG Free software. It worked great... to start. It found the virus and told me to "move it to the Virus Vault". So I selected "move to Virus Vault"... but then my cpu locks up - every time!! What can I do?

For the record, the virus is called Trojan Downloaded.Winshow.B or something like that. Can anyone recommend an application that will eradicate this gd thing?!?

Thanks so much in advance!

Tony Casler

Agent
Have you tried starting up in safe mode and running your anti-virus? Reboot your computer, and press f8 at the bios screen, and select safe mode, then run your anti-virus. (I'm assuming you have XP, other versions of windows may be different, I don't remember.)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Here's the Details on your Trojan...nasty :angry:

It is capable of sending out system information and user activity of the compromised system. It is also considered as a Browser Helper Object (BHO), which is an Internet Explorer (IE) exploit that searches for all pages viewed by the user using the Internet browser. These routines are used in the advertisement that it displays on the screen of a compromised system.
DOWNLOADER.WINSHOW.B

Try some the online antivirus scanners out there (one of these is bound to eradicate your virus):

HouseCall

ActiveScan from Panda

RavAntivirus

Stinger (from McAfee) won't get rid of this virus, but it will hunt 33 of the more popular Trojans and Viruses out there

Stinger

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this virus? I've followed the instructions of messing w/ my regedit, but no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks