What's new

Help me help a relative... could someone recommend a good bargain sub - ? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the search function but didn't come up w/ much. My brother is looking for a sub to match to Energy speakers all around.
This is in an apartment w/ carpeted floor. I thought maybe a front-firing model would be better?
Price range no more than ~ $250.
Thanks!

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony SAWM-40 is a well reviewed sub for the price. It can be found at a place like best buy for $150-$200. If you really want the best woof for your buck you could try a do-it-yourself sub. You could post a question in the DIY section if you were interested in that.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hands down your best bet is the Sony SA-WM40...under $200.
Found at Best Buy, Sears, etc.
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Ron Katcher

Agent
If you can stretch just a bit, you can pick up the highly regarded Mission 700asi sub on-line for less than $300 at
Link Removed

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure what his user profile is HT:Music, but with an Energy system you want to be sure not to overpower the main speakers and have the sub stick out like a sore thumb (unless your brother is only looking to watch action flicks, in which case, bigger is better).
Check out Paradigm's powered subs; they're well behaved and sound good all around. Not sure about specific model numbers. I think JBL's tend to be a bit boomy and unrefined, but that may be what you're looking for.
Good luck.

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
Another suggestion for the sony sub. I have a Paradigm PDR-12 and frankly i am dissappointed in it. After hearing my friends Sony sub, the two compare directly, and his cost considerably less.
Check out the sony sub at just about any major electronics retailer, get two if you can!
------------------
Thanks,
kevp

Nathan_B_Schmidt

Auditioning
Try the Polk PSW-350. Its budget, but its not bad. I enjoy mine. Look around, i am sure you can find one for 200. Does not distort like most cheapo subs. Stay away from Radio Shack RCA subs , Aiwas, and that nice 30 dollar plastic sub i see at best buy.

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to recommend the Velodyne CT-100. It's got a front-firing 10-inch driver and a 150 watt amp. I just got one from www.onecall.com for $250 (plus $30 shipping). I've found that it's quite good for music as well as home theater. Unless he'll be listening at reference levels or needs the lowest of the low-end frequencies (the CT-100 goes to about 28 Hz, and the depth of human hearing is about 20Hz), I think he'd be happy with this sub.
It retails for about $400 and was recently replaced by the CHT-10, which is essentially the same sub with the amplifier tweaked to get a little more output. Some people posting reviews of the CHT-10 at www.audioreview.com say that the older CT-100 is a tighter, more musical sub. I don't know as I only have in-home experience with the CT-100.
To my mind, it's the best of both worlds: I'm getting a sub cheap because it's being phased out by what could be an inferior sub.
There are only a couple of caveats:
1) Finding a CT-100 to audition in-store might be tricky. All the stores I went to already had the CHT-10 in their showrooms.
2) www.onecall.com doesn't accept returns unless the product is damaged. Even then, I think they only replace, not refund. You have to know you want the sub before you buy.
Other than that, their service was great. I ordered on a Tuesday and got it on a Thursday via FedEx. Not bad at all for a $30 shipping charge on a 50 lb. item.
Regardless of what sub he gets, I would highly recommend using Video Essentials or something like it to calibrate the sub's volume with the main speakers. I had the sub turned up too high and it wasn't sounding very natural or non-directional. When calibrated, it blends seamlessly into the main speakers.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks