What's new

Help me find another Yamaha RX-V3000 (1 Viewer)

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
My receiver got fried back on March 31, along with my DVD recorder, big-screen TV, a couple of computers, all my satellite TV gear and a bunch of other stuff (even the telephones). It was a lightning strike/power surge that took my stuff out.

Anyway, some things have been repaired and some have been replaced by my insurance company. I found out too late that my satellite gear isn't covered, by the way, so you should all check your policies.

My local repair shop sent my Yamaha receiver to an authorized repair center in Texas, and word came back Thursday that it could cost $1,000 to repair the receiver -- and then it still may not be reliable. So I'm going to try really hard tomorrow to pursuade my insurance claims adjuster to buy me a new receiver. I paid more than $1,000 for this unit, but since it was closed out the RX-V3000 has shown up here and there for not much more than a grand. An outfit called Golden Electronics just sold a new one via eBay for $1,029 on a buy-it-now auction. Unfortunately, I did not have the OK from the insurance company, so I was afraid to bid without knowing whether I would have the cash. So somebody else got that one.

So, does anyone know of anyone anywhere with a new RX-V3000 in stock somewhere that is marked down to around a grand (or less!)? I tried finding one through the usual search engines, but the listings I found proved unfruitful. I figure there is a dealer somewhere with a 3000 sitting on a shelf. I just have to find it!

I do not want the new model RX-V3200. That's a fine unit (with Pro Logic II), but it lacks the Yamaha front effects channels and has lost one set of AV inputs that the 3000 had. The effects speakers and the extra set of inputs are very important to me -- more so than Pro Logic II.

Some have mentioned that Good Guys is closing out its Yamaha stuff at crazy prices. Unfortunately, there is not a Good Guys in my state or any bordering state, and they will not ship.

Thanks!

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Bill, thanks for the speedy reply. I just e-mailed one of those sellers. Turns out he lives in my state. Now, I have to work my mojo on the Allstate claims adjuster tomorrow. I am soooo ready to have my theater fully operational again!

Marc Sky

Auditioning
I just got back from the Home Entertainment show in NY. If you are the patent type, I got word from one of the yamaha reps there that the 3300 reciever will be released in the fall. Identical to the 3200 except with front effect speakers.

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator
Did you try Sound Advice? They were closing them out here in the Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater area for $900.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Thanks, guys. I found a RX-V3000, and my insurance guy said it would be OK to buy it rather than try to get the old one repaired. So that's what I'm doing.
Marc, I'm not waiting for the 3300, obviously, but that sounds like it will be a good receiver. Do you know if it has seven AV inputs and four audio-only inputs like the 3000 does? The 3200 eliminated one set of AV jacks, making it a pain to integrate into my system. You might say I collect source components! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks