What's new

Help me find a sony DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
I just bought a Sony Home Theatre System. Right now I am using my ps2 for my dvd player, but i want to get a new one.

I want to get a sony to match my system, black is preferred along with a 5 disc dvd changer.

Anyone suggest a good sony 5-disc model for me?
thanks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, your two options right now the DVP-NC615 and 'NC655P. The key difference between the two is that the 'NC655P adds progressive-scan output. Go to www.crutchfield.com for more information on these players.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
yes, those 2 are new models.
I am also looking at older models, like last years model or whatever. My system i got is over 1 year old i believe.

As long as it has mp3 playback, that is a big one too.
progressive scan is nice but i bet most older players dont have that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, Sony only introduced MP3 playback with its current DVD players. The 'NC655P may very well be Sony's first progressive-scan DVD changer.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I, personally, wouldn't go with Sony just so you can have all Sony gear.

There are other players that have better picture quality than basic Sony units. If you're wanting to spend as little as possible, you could try a Panasonic DVD-RV32K. Panasonics do not have the dreaded chroma bug problem, and Panasonic players have tested very high in video benchmark tests. Sony's do have this chroma-noise/flicker problem; some units have been known to have lip sync issues on some titles too.

If you want to try a progressive scan player with DVD-Audio capabilities you could try for one of the few remaining Panasonic DVD-RP72 5 disc carousels. If it is one that doesn't have the flicker problem (some early production runs had it), it has almost as good a picture quality as the venerable Panasonic DVD-RP82 (touted as having one of the best video outputs on the market, but unfortunately no longer available). Some places on line have great pricing on both models.

Dan

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Dont try to keep all your gear the same, the bottom line is some companies make better products in different areas. at one point i wanted to keep all my gea the same brand, but that flew rigth out the window once i did my research. I started with sony gear, then when i got a new tv toshiba had the best picture and price, then i got a new dvd player and sony dosent have good players, they have the chrma bug.

Panasonic players dont, and as stated above have very good picture quality.

the thing to remember is the division that makes receivers likely has nothing to do witht he one that makes dvd players or the one that makes tv's etc....

you pretty much are buying from a separate company, so go for the best not the same brand name gear.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan said:

Sony's do have this chroma-noise/flicker problem; some units have been known to have lip sync issues on some titles too.
I haven't heard about a lip-synch issue affecting Sony players since it was found to be commonplace with the second-generation models (DVP-S330, 'S530D, 'S550D, 'C650D, 'CX850D). Even then, I had an 'S330 with the lip-synch problem and had it fixed within a week through an authorized Sony repair shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks