What's new

Help me find a good price LOCALLY! (1 Viewer)

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Im in the market for a new reciever, and ideally I'd like to buy one TODAY, but the local stores charge SO much more than their internet competition it's a joke. IE:
I want to get a Marantz SR-6200.
Online price is $529.
Local price is $700. (Which is the MSRP).
I asked the guy if he could go any lower, figuring that I was easily willing to pay the cost of shipping over what I would pay online, but the local dealer still wouldn't budge, so they are FORCING me to buy online basically, or waste $150 (I'm not getting good service, and they aren't knowledgeable, so basically it's just money in their pocket).
Is there ANYTHING you can think of I can use as leverage to get his price down? I would willingly pay $600 for the reciever.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Make them an offer of $600. If they're not willing to sell at that price then buy it online and pocket the extra money. Unfortunately (I think) the only authorized online Marantz dealer is HiFi.com and they're also charging $699.99 for the SR6200. If I recall correctly, Marantz is pretty strick about warranties.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Matty,
I was once stuck on Marantz, but then I descovered Dennon and IMO Dennon blows Marantz out of the water.Plus I use to work at a A/V shop that carried Marantz and we stoped carrying Marantz because they gave us so much of a hasle when it came to returns of any kind. I would try Dennon before going with Marantz. Dennon has a very good rep for custumer service.
Eric

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
oh ya, go to either Marantz.com or denon.com and look under "dealer finder".It should tell you who sells them near you.

John.W

Agent
Did you happen to mention the online price to the local retail shop? If not You might want to. Hell I have a local shop bidding on Bass Shakers on Ubid after my visit.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
What is a comparable Denon model to the Marantz SR-6200 in the 5-600 dollar range? I need a reciever that has:
DPL II
DTS 6.1-ES
Over 100 watts/channel
That's about all I require. Im not going to lie, while I DO care about sound quality, I also want this thing to be loud (yet clean. Im going to buy an SVS sub)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Dennon has a very good rep for custumer service.
Eric:
I think you'll find you are in the minority when it comes to stating that Denon offers good customer service. I and many others feel exactly the opposite. In my opinion at least, they are extremely poor at communicating with their consumers. Admittedly their products are quite decent, but their lack of end-user support has left me and others regretting our Denon purchases and for me, ensured that I will never purchase another Denon product again.
If you want specifics, check out this thread over at the Denon 5800/A1SE Flagship receiver forum:
Link Removed
Yes, I bought the top of the line Denon, but if communication and support for it is this bad, then I suspect it's the same for their other products as well. Even the local authorized dealer I bought from states that their Denon rep is one of the hardest to reach and the most difficult to get information from. They see him once every 2 to 3 months, whereas their Sony and Pioneer reps come by every couple of weeks, without even being asked. Certainly a difference in company philosophy.
It is interesting to hear that Marantz seems to operate in a similar fashion. I'm not currently looking for a replacement but if I was, this would certainly knock Marantz off my list of consideration.
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks