What's new

Help me find a DVD-R (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Hi All,

Time to move from CD-R into the brave new world of 4.7 GB DVD-R. Can anyone suggest a specific drive for all around use (or what to avoid?) Here's my general criteria:

* Internal drive
* DVD-R, DVD-RW format (don't want/need +)
* Around $150 (less?)
* Don't need DVD software or whatever (plan on using Nero)
* Don't need game/whatever bundles, just a good OEM drive.

Many Thanks in advance!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
tigerdirect.com just listed a Pioneer DVD-R for $159 (I think), it's white box (new but no manual, screws, cable), 1 year manufacturer warranty, does come with NTI software. I don't know anything about Pioneer, but I think they are supposed to be good, and I think it's 4x.
One caution is I do not know how much shipping is, but assuming the pretty standard $12 for this type of stuff, you are talking about $170 and change, for another $25, you can get a multiformat 4x NEC 1300A or Optorite(both retail box and including shipping, Optorite is probably a couple bucks less).

Rodon

Second Unit
Pricewatch.com showed the Pioneer PVR-105 for $157 and $5 shipping at componentsdirect.com. That will give you 4X DVD-R writing capability (about 9min vs 20 min for 2X). About one of the cheapest 4X Pioneer drives I have seen.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The A05 has been replaced with the A06, a dual format DVD Writer (supports both + and -) like the Sony. You might want to read up on http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ ..

I personally use the A05. I've done hundreds of burns. Put all my home videos, old non-DVD released TV Shows, etc. out to DVD with it. It's a fantastic drive and the support on it is solid. Compatibility with the burns off of this drive are ranked as one of the highest by Maximum PC and others.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
OK, guy, I went and checked, it's a DVR105, and it's $152 plus S&H. What's the difference between a 105 and a A05?? Kind of looked the same.

Rodon

Second Unit
DVR105 is the OEM version of the retail A05. Exact same drive but different packaging options, software options, and warranty. Most drives online will be 105s in the price requirement range. May want to check return policy on that site listed. I have always thought $10 more would be worth it if I saved the hassle of having return problems in case of defective unit. I have good experience with Newegg, mwave, and ajump. Those are my recomendations.

The Pioneer DVR106 is the dual format DVD + and - R drive from Pioneer. I like the 106 but it is a 2meg cache drive. Sony and Lite-On are releasing 8 meg write cache drives. Price on the 106 is in the neighborhood of $230-$260. Lite-On is $250-$260.

Pricewatch.com is a great site.

Also fatwallet hotdeals forum lists great threads on DVD-R media in case you need a source of info and places to buy them cheap and in bulk. They also have owners that recommend media for different drives. Not steering you away from HTF but directing to other tools for deals.

Hope this helps everyone.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer uses a different caching method then the Sony or Liteon, though, so it's not really an apples to apples on that. :)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
This one looks good to me:

PANASONIC SW-9571

I think it records at x2 vs. x4 for the A05/105, but it also includes DVD-RAM which would be a nice data backup feature.

AVLogic has it for $142 + $10 shipping, what do you all think?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I think it records at x2 vs. x4 for the A05/105, but it also includes DVD-RAM which would be a nice data backup feature.
Um ... DVD-RW performs the exact same function. And IIRC DVD-RAM only holds 3.8 GB whereas DVD-RW holds 4.38. Plus DVD-RAM is more of a cartridge than a disc.

No, DVD-RAM is going away. Let it. Just stick with DVD-RW for data backups.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
overstock.com has Pioneer 104 (2x -RW instead of the 105's 4x) for $139 plus $2.50 shipping.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Just make sure that if you get the A03/103 or A04/104 that you get the newest firmware from Pioneer as these are the two drives that have the notorious "high speed DVD-R implosion syndrome" if the firmware is below a certain version.

Personally, I say spend the extra $20 and get the A05.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks