What's new

Help me decide what size sub, please (1 Viewer)

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
I built a 5.0 system last year when I lived in a condo, and now that I have a house (and the ability to be loud) I want to add some more bass to it.

My receiver is Pioneer VSX-816 (110W x7).

My speakers are the Athena Audition series, and I have the F2.2's for primary front towers, so they already have pretty good bass response (dual 8" woofers on each tower, 250W per channel).

I am trying to decide between a Dayton 8" and Dayton 10" for my sub. Are those good choices? I've heard decent things about them, and the price is sure nice.

My room is 12' wide by 18' deep. My primary reason for getting the sub is for movies.

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is your maximum budget? What are your goals? Do you want a realistic cannon sound when watching Master and Commander? You mentioned that you can now listen to your movies loud. How loud?

The Dayton subs are a great budget sub but they don't stand up to the subs from Elemental Designs, SVS or Epik Subwoofers. Depending on your budget, you may be able to go with a smaller sub from one of the companies listed above.

-Robert

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
Yeh, I am looking at the SVS PB10 or the Hsu STF-2 now. Having a hard time deciding between them.

My goals are just to fill in the low end when watching movies. No real budget but of course I'm not going to go spend $2k... I'm not that much of an enthusiast. I spent just over $700 for my speakers and receiver (MSRP about $1600) so I like to keep stuff cheap. I guess I could justify spending $400 or $500 since the PB10 and STF-2 seem to get such rave reviews. How loud? Well, I dunno. I lot louder than when I was in an apartment and shared a wall. I still have neighbors, but I doubt I'll bother them, I don't crank my stuff up super high anyway.

John Gates

Second Unit
Both the SVS and HSU are fine choices.

You'd be proud to own either of these, and then when you want more, you can upgrade later.

And you will want more... Bwahahaaaaa

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
The MFW-15 from Av-123 is still an intriguing choice at $599 and a pair at under $1k is quite compelling. They seem to be rated very good according to some respected sub tests.

It might be worth a gander as well.

I could never advise against SVS as they have given me bass nirvana!

Although this(AV-123) is a bit above your budget as stated. Welcome to the holy grail search for bass satisfaction, I lived it for a few years before making a choice.....pleasant torture it is!!!!

PS; Many online providers have "b-Stock" items that come with full warrantees. This might be an option as well.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Matt,

I would go with SVS 12" sub or subs as if you are going to listen to it loud. You will want a larger sub as IMHO you could end up with bass that sounds strained if you plan to turn it up. You can get some awsume bass from the SVS 12's and IMHO you would most likely be happier with those of the 10" sub.

I guess you are not planning to turn it up to 11 then. ;) :laugh: Besides I turned it up really loud a few times and ended up cracking the back living room window on time. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks