What's new

Help me decide SonyWIII or Hitachi V500 (1 Viewer)

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get myself a 50 inch LCD RP TV. I had my heart set on the Hitachi 50V500 because it looked better than the Sony at the time. Now Sony comes out with the new model, the WegaIII that looks really good.

I don't know wich one to choose, they both look good to me.

Any suggestions ??

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, I hope you get some feedback because I'm interested as well. I've seen the hitachi with the sony little brother set , the 42 incher side by side, but unfortunately, unless you're dealing with serious videophile dealers who tweak the sets and set them up in the proper environment for viewing, such a comparison doesn't carry a whole lot of weight.

The hitachi appears to be viable competition for the sony set and they're comparably priced. What I will say, is that both these sets are brighter, and produce considerably more detail than other rptv sets that were in the vicinity with both the hd and dvd material I viewed. The viewing angles were superior and they also were less relective as well.

I had been thinking dlp, but these lcd sets have definitely swung me around.

Malcolm Smith

Auditioning
To check out all the comments already generated here go to the forum search and type in the model numbers. You'll find lots of info. My choice after trying to find a deal with the Sony was the Hitachi.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 50" Sony WIII after looking at every set on the market for several months. I've had it for about a week, and couldn't be happier. I upgraded from a 36" Sony XBR. I went with the new Sony because I thought it had the best picture at the store, and I because of my good experience with my older Sony. I was very concerned about black levels, but they look fine after tweaking with Avia. Color is wonderful, DVDs look great, and even standard cable (I get my HiDef box next week) looks about the same as it did on my 36" set. I would definitely recommend the Sony.

Tom Fynan

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
I looked at these last night at CC and the Hitachi was gorgeous. I have been following the thread over at AVS about the Hitachi and it seems that baring a few issues with its initial run they are fantastic.

I saw on CC's website its price was $2,899 though the in store price was $3,199. I was forced to look at these types of sets after I was vetoed on buying a FPTV and didn't want a big box in the room. The Hitachi v500 looks to be the set I will purchase and I will buy it locally due to issues I've read about.. one being the black spot issue. I like the Hitachi's cabinet better too.

MikewL

Grip
I went with the Hitachi, but the differences in these sets is VERY subtle. I can't recall hearing of anyone returning one of these sets for the other. Generally, most of the returns/exchanges are between different technologies like DLP/LCD/Plasma/CRT.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I’ve been gearing up to buy a new set for a month or two, reading the forums, comparing specs, and doing side by side store comparison visits. I was set on the Sammy DLP.

Just today I was in CC this morning/afternoon eyeballing the GWIII, 50V500, and the 50: Sammy DLP. All the listed sets have build issues, mirrors, pixels, dithering, etc., etc., but all 3 of them look fantastic with an HD feed.

After about 3 hours of standing around looking at them, tweaking them via the remotes. I came to the conclusion that all 3 sets are damn nice, packed with features and overall, sexy pieces of kit.

I walked out an owner of the Hitachi.

Aesthetically, the Hitachi, to me, is sleeker looking. The GWIII and the DLP with the dark bezel/silver cabinet didn’t to it for me; though I prefer the speakers on the bottom design of the DLP.

The black levels on all sets were good, with the GWIII being the weakest and the DLP and HIT50V being so close that my ‘uneducated’ had a hard time discerning between the too.

On par black levels (IMO) to the DLP, DVI, the tweakability of the HIT50V (seems very user friendly with good options I’ve seen posted on the forums), and the lower price point of the 50” compared the DLP (as the GWIII was the same price as the HIT50V, yet looked inferior to me) left me able to pick up a DVI DVD player in the coming week.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks