What's new

Help me decide on how to spend $50 at Borders (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I just got $50 in gift cards for Borders. It will definitely go towards DVDs, but I can't decide what to get.

Don't bother suggesting the Beatles Anthology; already have Best Buy cards earmarked for that;)

Check out my already-owned DVDs in my sig to get an idea of my interests.

Thanks!

Jon

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Use it at borders.com which is really amazon. The prices are lower than in the stores, & you can get free shipping.

Also, a card doesn't have to be used all at once. You can even use it at the cafe.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
The Paul McCartney live dvd is really good(especially the audio). I was in Border's with a Pete Townshend live dvd that I ended up not purchasing, so that'd be the one I'd get. Then there's the Roger Rabbit dvd...:)

Howie A

Second Unit
The lord of the rings book set with the hobbit.
I am not all that big on recreational reading
it is just tough to find time.
I got the set not to long ago and love it.

Not a bad book to kick back to on a day
you just don't want to sit in front of a TV..

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Why not buy $50 worth of good karma? Buy several children's books and give them to kids in need.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Looking at all of the ´Special’ and ‘Collectors’ editions in your collection, you owe to your self to spring for something from Criterion.

Since you appear to like music from that era, you might consider The Complete Monterey Pop Festival.

Another suggestion is that you might like to try a foreign film. A lot of your collection suggests that there are some you might really like. Try renting something by Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai or Hidden Fortress are good places to start). If this seems good grab Criterion’s box set of 4 Samurai Classics

Criterion’s The Third Man fits in very well with some of your collection (Chinatown)

The new release of West Side Story is supposed to quite good. You can read Ron's review
here.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
You need help getting up to $50 in Borders? Last time I went in I needed help cutting back down to under £100! The place is like a candy store aimed right at me.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
The place is like a candy store aimed right at me.
Me too, Iain. I don't need help 'getting up' to $50, just where to aim it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 'Band of Brothers' is a strong possibility, as is the Criterion 'Monterey Pop'

Coincidentally, Lew, I just bought Criterion's 'The Third Man' yesterday online. I already own 'Seven Samurai' and love it.

I like McCartney, but not enough (without John, George & Ringo) to justify a DVD purchase. Likewise, Lord of the Rings stuff.

As for buying and donating children's books....ummm...anyone else got an idea?? :)

Jon

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
A couple of really good books I've had recently, that I can recommend:

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear - Walter Moers Frankly insane "childrens" book, though its more a straight comedy that happens to involve a Blue Bear that doesn't include anything too likely to be unsuitable for kids than actually aimed at them.

Falling Out Of Cars - Jeff Noon Its the lastest stream of insanity from Noon, though I don't think its released in the US yet.

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde While I'd be tempted to recommend getting the UK one as I vastly prefer the cover (here, by the way) the contents are still the brilliantly funny tale of an alternative 1985 where TV and Cinema never happened, and Books are the new (and indeed old) Rock 'n' Roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks