What's new

Help me create a new home theater system (1 Viewer)

Dee.T

Auditioning
Bought a HDTV last year and love it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade my audio setup to a 5.1 home theater setup.

At present, all I have for speakers is a pair of 17 year old KEF C60s. They're great and I wonder if I should just add a KEF center (KEF 9c) and a pair of KEF Q1 for surrounds with a Velodyne CHT (12?) subwoofer...that's an inexpensive route but I'm concerned about whether the old C60s would match the new center and surrounds...using the C60s as surrounds is not an option given family room layout contraints. I can buy the KEFs mail order but trying them out is tough since no one seems to carry them around here.

The other more expensive option is to dump the C60s and bring in a new speaker package (impressed by two B&W packages I listened to last weekend...DM602 S3 main + LCR 60S3 center + DM 601 S3 surround + ASW600 sub...and for even more $$, CM2 main/surround + CMC center + ASWCM sub).

My usage profile is 60% movies, 20% cable, 20% music. Would appreciate thoughts/suggestions on the speaker package. Would also appreciate info on compatible surround sound receivers/amps.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I would (if you are looking at the B&W) go with the LCR600S3 for the center channel, it will work a slight bit better with the 602s (I think it sounds more clear and images better). I would not use the ASW600 it's very boomy and does shake things, but when compared to a SVS or HSU, there's just no contest. Save the money on that, I bet your Velodyne is probably better!

I also think, don't waste your money on the CM line from B&W, they are NOT worth the price. You might as well go right up to the 700 series, the CM line is a rip off (in most people's opinion). I don't think the extra money is justified for the CM line, but is for the 700 and 800 series. :)

Ron Salvoro

Auditioning
My advice is go with the b&w's for movie listening. Try using your old KEf C60 for music with a tube amp.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Dee, PM me if you're interested in a pair of Q1's and Q9C in maple color.
The more expensive option of DM's don't even sound as good as the Q's. You're heading in the wrong direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks