What's new

Help me choose my next couple of SCIFI TV series to watch (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
My wife and I both love sci fi and are looking for some recommendations.

We have liked all sci fi series we have seen to various degrees, but if we were to rank them, here is how they would fall in case this helps determine what we should watch next.

1) Babylon 5
2) Farscape
3) Star Trek TNG
4) Star Trek DS9
5) Star Trek TOS
6) Star Trek Enterprise
7) Battlestar Galactica - The original series
8) Star Trek Voyager

We are thinking of starting Stargate SG-1 next but are open to other suggestions. We are already watching the new BSG but with not even one season complete yet, we don't know where to rank it but we are enjoying it.

Andy

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
I think You will like Stagate SG-1.

My wife doesn't really like Sci-Fi and I do, but she likes it and it is probably my favorite. I have the orinal movie and the first seven seasons on dvd. I have Season 8 & the new Spin-off Stargate-Atlantis on VHS until they come out on DVD in the fall. Season 9 of SG-1 and Season 2 of SG-Atlantis starts in July

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Stargate SG-1
Stargate: Atlantis
Firefly
Battlestar Galactica: The New Series
The 4400

Coming soon on DVD:

Earth2

While the new Battlestar bears little resemblance to the original, it is an excellent show. Just consider it a separate entity.

If you like DS9, the creative forces behind that show are involved in some of those I listed:

Battlestar Galactica: Ron Moore was a prolific writer for Star Trek, and created BSG.

Ira Steven Behr and Rene Echevarria worked on both DS9 and The 4400.

Of the shows I listed, Stargate SG-1 is probably more universally "accepted" than many others. The humor and the inclusion of Richard Dean Anderson add to its appeal.

Firefly is a very unique show - definitely one of my favorites. Its very "uniqueness" may be a turnoff for some, however.

-Scott

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, theres only one answer here: Doctor Who.

I mean any show that runs for 26 years and has a HUGE following 17 years after the last show was made probably has something going for it. The discs are remastered (and not in the "we need another bullet point for the back of the box" restoration way either - I mean lovingly cleaned up frame by frame, scratches removed, print damage cleaned up - well, Just See For Yourself) and the discs are loaded with extras - commentary, a subtitled trivia track, documentaries and interviews with the cast, behind the scenes stuff, and trailers. In short - I dare you to find *ANY* other Television release with as much love and care lavished upon it.

Of the US releases so far, I'd recommend:
* Earthshock
* The Pyramids of Mars
* Tomb of the Cybermen

Each of those episodes are pretty stand-alone, acting as good jumping on points for the series. Of the lot, I think Pyramids is the strongest, and certanly features the most popular Doctor of the lot.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Although if you do get Blakes 7 (and you should) - make sure you get the second print run of the first season. The first pressing of the discs had a VERY sloppy layer change right in the middle of an episode which would either freeze your player or cause the episode to skip ahead 45 seconds or so (depending on what model you have). Second pressings of series 1 have cleaned up this problem, as far as I know.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions!

We can't decide on this one. We have heard good things about it, but like Crusade, it sounds like it simply had its legs cut out from under it. We love story arcs (which is why B5 and Farscape top our list). We expect that the story abrubptly ends in Firefly. Is that true? We have also heard of a possible follow on movie, which would certainly make this series more interesting to us.

Andy

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
- Battlestar Glactica original series
- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1st season was the best but it's only available as a 2-season set)
- Twilight Zone original series
- V - Miniseries and "Final Battle" TV-movie

Hope you're right about this one :emoji_thumbsup: I haven't heard any release date yet for it.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
You would need a multi region DVD player for Blake's 7 and I do not think you will have to worry about faulty discs anymore, at least not at amazon where they were out of stock for a while then got them in and sent me a nice copy. Phillips DVP642 is acheap multi region DVD player, just open the tray and type 7,8,9,ok,0 and it is Region Free.

I always thought of Blake's 7 being anti-Star Trek, the logo seems like the Star Trek logo on its side and the story seems to suggest that something like the Federation is highly corruptable and likely to infringe on people's freedom. It is a great contrast in scenarios. If you do import try Tripods and Robin of Sherwood as well. Robin of Sherwood places Robin as an almost Christ-like figure leading his men not just against the corruption of those who rule but demons as well.
Firefly is not over. although the series ended a big budget theatrical film is being made and it may continue on beyond that first film.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
When judging the original Galactica, try not to judge it according to the standards of today's TV shows in terms of production etc. The whole point of understanding Galactica is the ability to see the deeper themes in its conception, the early use of story arcs and character development that had not existed before, and the creation of some very definable and likable characters from the cast. Do not judge it based on the reuse of FX footage and the annoying intrusion of the robot daggit.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Regarding Firefly:

You are correct, Andy. This show did have its legs cut out from under it. But I still highly recommend it. The follow-up movie "Serenity" is coming out in September, and it should wrap up a lot of loose ends that were created in the series. If you like character driven shows with a sci-fi theme, this one fits the bill. Cannot recommend this one high enough!

John

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Have you two seen the 'Stargate" movie? It would give you some idea what it is like - and/or watch a rerun on the tube. I wouldn't recommend seeing the new ones because there were quite a few changes made for season 8.

But all-in-all, SG-1, IMO, is much better than Star Trek.

Glenn

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
I'd skip on Firefly.
As a ScFi lover, I looked forward to seeing it but was left underwhelmed. Perhaps it was because it only lasted 13 eps and usually Scfi series take a couple of seasons to find their feet.
It's basically a western set in outerspace.
If you've come off Babylon, DS9 etc. I thinks Firefly will leave you cold.
Stargate is a definate yes. Get the first five to six seasons. Maybe seventh, but definately avoid the eighth season.
It's a very entertaining show- well until the dreaded eighth season.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Did you see it on DVD or TV? It works better on DVD because it was shown out of sequence on TV and that messed up perceptions of it big time due to the fact it was suppose to be shown in a particular order so as to actually follow a legitimate storyline. It was a bit longer than 13 epsiodes, I think 14 with a two hour one making it a 15 episodes if you divide that one. It has been a while since I saw it last.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Regarding the end of Firefly:

While the end is ambiguous, it managed to be somewhat satisfying. I don't want to give anything away... but they managed to end the season without really leaving you hanging. At the same time, there is plenty to resolve in the film.

I also agree with the idea that the show works FAR better on DVD than it did in the chopped up season presented by Fox - it was frequently pre-empted and delayed by baseball, and the network chose to shuffle the order of the shows, as well. They are presented on DVD as Joss Whedon intended - and the whole thing makes a world more sense.

It should be noted, however, that the movie is considerably darker in tone. While I like the movie, I like the series even better (a rarity) because the O'Neill character is so much lighter. The first season is a bit "hit or miss", but the show through season five/six is outstanding.

-Scott

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
I say X-Files, too!

Does "Millenium" count as science fiction too? Because I wholeheartedly recommend that one as well.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Another vote for "Blake's 7". Amazing characterization. Wonderful dialogue. Brilliantly vintage (some would say cheesy, but only occasionally cheesy in my opinion) special effects. Great and inventive villians and planets. B7 was a show that wasn't afraid to take risks, which often included killing someone off.

To give you an idea of the series: take the powerful empire from the Star Wars films, give them a female leader, have them chase a band of rebels who don't always do the courageous or right thing (and who rarely all agree & get along), give them the Millennium Falcon but make it talk, and allow them to wield the power of the Force, which--in this show--is a super computer called Orac. The great thing about B7 is the continuity. While most episodes did feature something that made them episodic in their own way, this truly was a televised space opera. Continuity just wasn't done very much in pre-90s television (aside from daytime & primetime soaps).

By the way: Paul Darrow's "Avon" is one of the greatest characters in all of Sci-Fi history.

When you're ready for something funny, I'll third the recommendation of "Red Dwarf". I got hooked on that show one year on the theme song alone. The episode that parodies "Casablanca" (and has Kryten falling in love) is perfection.

I just have to assume that you and your wife have already seen the original "Twilight Zone" series. If not, get going! I realize you seem to be into the more continuity-based sci-fi series, but TZ is a no-brainer. Everyone I've ever introduced to the show falls in love with it instantly.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
How about Futurama? Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet. That's another show that was cancelled before it really should have been, but at least they still managed to get over 70 episodes made. Anyway, it is hilarious, and often quite intelligent (it's what I call "intelligently silly," at least).

And another vote here for Red Dwarf, one of the funniest shows ever created. Actually, Futurama and Red Dwarf are similar in that both are uproariously funny and pretty decent science fiction shows at the same time. They'll start out with a genuinely interesting sf idea, and then spoof the heck out of it.

I'd also recommend Firefly. Very unique show, and a much better experience on DVD than on TV, where the original pilot was actually the last episode shown. :rolleyes

Funny story: My dad and I caught most of the Firefly episodes when they originally aired, and after he saw the pilot, he said, "If they'd shown that one first, it would have been a hit." He now owns the DVD set and has watched every single episode at least three times. And I agree; I think that was one of the major reasons it didn't do that well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks