What's new

Help me choose a digital camera!! (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Cam, the differences between those settings are negligible, unless you are making large prints (8x10, 11x14). For web use, the largest pics you'd want are probably 1024x768. At that size, you won't be able to see much of a difference.

I have a 3.3 MP Canon S20, with 2 64 meg cards. For casual photos and web use, I usually take pictures on the 1024x768 setting at max quality (least compression, but still JPEG). When I want larger prints and the best pics, I use the full 3.3 MP setting with max quality.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I always take pictures at the highest setting on my current Kodak Digital Camera. I say better safe then sorry if I want to blow the picture up or whatever. I can alwayd edit it in Paintshop Pro and reduce the size or anything else.

Does anyone have some unedited pics that I could see from some of the camera mentioned by you guys?

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Here's a few un-altered pics from my Canon S20 (3.3 MP). The Canon S30 is the latest version of this camera - same resolution, more features.
Good luck if you're on a dial-up.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Also note that my camera only has the option to output JPEG images, no Raw or Tiff.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Thanks Jared, I'm on cable, so no worries.

One more thing. I have a Pentax MX SLR camera. I have an external flash for it and was wondering how that flash would be with a digital camera with a hotshoe on it? I have heard some poeple complain about the flash's not being strong enough. Any comments?

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I think my flash sucks balls, personally. The flash itself is too close to the lense, and it distorts colors when indoors. I don't know anything about your flash, but I'd imagine any external flash would be better then the internal ones these point-and-shoot digitals come with.

My next camera will not be a point-and-shoot variety. I just have to have more manual control. The first shot I posted could have been a lot better if I had manual focus, along with manual control of the shutter and aperture.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
It might, I'm not sure. I doubt it has manual focus, though, taking it off my "new camera" list.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hmm, I'm gonna check that out....

Edit:

The new S30 and S40 seem to have manual focus, manual shutter, and manual aperture.

Anyone know if they accept IBM Microdrive?

Cam S

Screenwriter
When a digital camera says it is CompactFlash II compatible, does that mean it accepts the Microdrive?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
The S40 will accept the MicroDrive. Click HERE, scroll down a bit and look on the left side. It lists both CompactFlash ("CF") and the IBM Microdrives.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
How many pictures do you intend to take, that you NEED the microdrive? I mean, two 256MB cards at 4Mpixel with very light compression will still hold a few hundred photos.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I'd like the use of the IBM Microdrive for future upgrading, if I need more space. The CF cards do go up to 1GB and are fairly cheap, so it isn't THAT big of a concern.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I was looking at the G2 but it retails for $1300.
I bought my G2 from Dell.com last year for $675 shipped. If you hunt around for deal and are patient, you can still get it for this price or lower. Sorry I can't comment on the other cameras. DPReview.com should have more than enough info though for you. Don't forget to let us know how you make out!

E

Eric Kahn

I bought a Minolta Dimage 5 at christmas, so far i like it and it either works as full auto or completly adjustable, I bought it because it was the only digital camera under 1000 dollars (US) that had a manual zoom feature like a film camera, 7X optical zoom

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hmm, tell me some more info on that Camera Eric, it sounds interesting.

Don't forget guys, I'm in Canada.

DavidAM

Second Unit
I haven't read all the posts, but what you want is the Fuji 602. I would surf through the forums at dpreview.com and ask questions there....everyone over there is very helpful. Just be sure to read the fuji forum also because I think they have the best bang for the buck right now. Good luck.

Cam S

Screenwriter
David, why do you think the Fuji 602 would be the best choice for me? I've never looked at any of the Fuji stuff.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I just checked out that Fuji S602 on DPreview.com and WOW, what an option packed camera! It even has the Hotshoe which can be used with any external flash, now I gotta find a canadian price on it!

Cam S

Screenwriter
The Canon G2 is only 100 bucks more than the Fuji 602, and the G2, in my mind has more features and better quality. I think I'll expand my budget to allow for the G2, but we'll see.

E

Eric Kahn

Cam
The minolta comes in 2 versions the Dimage 5 (3.34 megepixel) and the Dimage 7 (5 somthing Megapixel)
when I was looking to replace my older point and shoot digital (HP 400 I think) which had no adjustments other than a 2X digital zoom, I decided that I wanted a manual zoom like a film camera and the video cameras I had used
the Dimage 5 and 7 have all the controls and adjustments that you would see on a 35mm SLR film camera with interchangeable lense's
it also works in fully automatic mode (which is what I use)
here is a link for it
Minolta Dimage 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks