Help me buy a gaming PC!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaredB, Feb 6, 2002.

1. JaredB

JaredB Agent

Okay, I'm a Mac guy. I hate PCs. But I'm man enough to admit that for gaming the PC is still where it's at (for the forseeable future anyway)

Is there someone that would be able to tell me what my best bang for the buck option would be if I wanted to buy a PC just for gaming?

Any input or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Can you build computers yourself or prefer to buy them pre-built? Building them yourself is always the best option as you pick and choose the parts that are optimal for gaming. But you can also specify many things on custom built systems, you just end up paying more.
    I'd recommend Dell but they have that annoying freak in their commercials. [​IMG] If cost is truly no issue take a look at Alienware.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

check out GameSpot. They just did an article on the current starter/middle/ultimately equipped PCs.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Hate to say it, but if you have zero experience building computers, save yourself the hours upon hours of building/troubleshooting and just buy yourself a cheap Gateway/Dell. They're running specials right now, with sub-$1000 2GHz P4/256-512MB RAM/40GB HD/DVD/CD-RW and even a half decent video card (which you can always pop out and replace at your whim).

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I bought a Dell a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. I just keep updating it with more RAM etc. It's been very good to me.

-Andre F

6. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

My plan is to get a loaded rig from www.ibuypower.com sometime in March.
    They have a fully customizable feature and a decked out rig is about $1100.