What's new

Help me build my Home Theater sound system.....? (1 Viewer)

cgcinc

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am turning my downstairs living room into a "home theater" and need some advice.

I just bought a 60" LCD and now I need some sound equipment. In our old house we had a Sony 5.1 setup that we bought from Walmart and it was decent for our little house but I am wanting something with more sound quality and power. I FOR SURE need some bass you can feel, not boomy but something that will move your pant legs when the Transformers walk by!!

Help me build a nice setup on a budget......

I'm thinking about going with Polk Audio TSi500 towers, TSi100 rears, a CS20 center and PSW125 Sub(or two). As far as the reciever, I have no clue.

Something in the range of $800 to $1800 or so

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Based on the speakers you specify, you're looking at about $1400. That will leave about $400 for a receiver (on the high side of your range).

Amazon is currently selling a Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver for about $380. This is a 7.1 channel receiver that will give you more flexibility for expanding the 5.1 system you are proposing (if that is something you want to do). The 1020 also gives you a lot of connectibility. Since you didn't talk about BluRay/DVD, Cable, Satelite Radio, Gaming, I Pod/Phone....(the list goes on) - this one let's you connect them all.

However, once you look at the total of all above that leaves very little for wires, etc.

cgcinc

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
My budget is flexible somewhat.

I have a bluray player and a few HDMI cables. The wire for the stereo will need to be bought but thats not a big deal.

I'm really wondering about speaker systems I guess. I like Polk very much but I'm not to up on all the different brands and which is better (guess that's dependant upon the listner :) )

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't like towers for home theater, it's wasting money. There's no need for towers, because your bass will be handled by the your sub/subs anyway. Get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers for the fronts, and let the sub handle the bass.

cgcinc

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Towers are For sure going to be my L/R channels. last towers I had were Yamaha and they were nice but I want a Really nice pair of towers, either Polk or Definitive. I'm a big fan of towers....Not big and bulky towers but nice, sleek and sexy towers!!

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I think the towers that you propose are fine. You recognize that the towers of today are not at all like the towers of even five years ago - today we just call them / categorize them as floor standing speakers. Floor standing speakers have a place in Home Theater for those that have a need.

You started out talking about Polk - I also like Polk. You mentioned Definitive Technology - they have a great line of floor standing speakers. Klipsch and Yamaha also make more than decent floor standing speakers that fit into your price range. A friend of mine once had a pair of Focals that were excellent. His front sound field was phenomenal when it came to movies and music.

I don't know what kind of access you have to listening to different speakers, but that is the best way to satisfy your selection process. Definitive Technology has such a wide line of speakers that you could spend a full day of listening there. Their MYTHOS line is really good but might exceed your price range. The smaller CINEMA PRO line is an exceptional value - A lot of sound for a low to moderate price range (bookshelves). A lot of speakers in between.

I have always been a Cerwin Vega kinda guy (I come from that era of hard driving speakers built for Rock and Roll). I have an older pair of those in the basement HT where I listen to a lot more music than cinema. I am looking for those that have witnessed their new line of speakers. I would also say you need to see their new site.

Well, I have rambled for a while. Stick with your heart - go with the towers/floor standers and satisfy that urge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks