What's new

Help Matching some Speakers for new Setup (1 Viewer)

I've just bought a house and would like to build a dedicated home theater in the basement.

I'm pretty set on getting a the Yamaha RX-V2600 as the Base or Center to build on... From there I can get speakers, then add amps if I need more power and, well as You guys know, it never ends...

As far as speakers, I'm looking at the Polks... Here is list of what I'm looking at so far.

Fronts - RTi12
Center - CSi5
Rear - FXi5
Sub - PSW1000

This will setup will be mostly for watching movies, then music, then our gaming consoles... (70%20%10%)

I really want a lot of sub bass... I used to build mid-level competition Car Audio systems that would hit high 150s...

I guess my 1st question, what do you think about the mix of the above, I know there are better, a lot better, but do you think they are fairly well matched to work together???

Then, on the sub, I've not really dealt with Pre-made Home Subs much and I've always built my own enclosures for my Cars and Trucks...

Would I be better off going with the Polk sub (PSW1000) or say building my own. I was looking at some of Adire Audio's gear and thinking of going with their ADA 1200 amp to power a Tumult 18D2. I know that 18" Tumult can move some Air!!!

Pros for the Polks
The Polk sub might be a closer match the other Polks sound wise
It would be a bit cheaper
maybe have a nicer finish

Cons
Less power 6-800 watts for two drivers (2-10"subs)

Pros for Adire Solution
More power 1200 Watts
Dependiing on the actual cone area, the 18 may have more....

Cons
More expensive
Not matched to the others

Either way, I think they'd both sound nice...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum,Scott!

”Matching” is not an issue with subwoofers as it is between the mains (unless you’re talking about appearances). As with the mains, your sub needs to be a good fit for your room. If you’re used to car audio, you want a sub that will get high output down to at least 25 Hz. I doubt your car had a pair of tens; not much chance they’ll put out what you want in a home theater that is a vastly larger space than your car. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks