What's new

Help! Marantz SR9200 VS Onkyo 801 (1 Viewer)

SoundNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Which is better for me? I do both Stereo listening and play Blurays (mostly 2 channel music)
My main method of connection is PC---optical cable--->AVR
-The Marantz is priced at $400 and the Onkyo at $250.
-If the Marantz wasn't so old (2001) I would go for it.
-The Onkyo is a 2009 Model and cheaper.
My setup is: POLK 2x Montor 70's(F), 2x Monitor 60's (R), CS2 (C)
PSW505 and a Sony 10"
Currently, everything is powered by a Sony HTIB AVR model # STR-K9900
Thanks! All input welcome

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Onkyo 801 is about 8 years old. The 2009 model would be the 807. Of the two (if you have that Onkyo model number correct) I'd take the Marantz. But the prices are about $75 more for each then I'd want to pay. In fact, I don't think I'd pay $325 for the 9200 but older Marantz receivers really hold their value better than most others so it's not a bad price really. It's just that you can get a pretty good new receiver for $400.
If you can get an Onkyo 807 for $250 (and it actually works) then that's a pretty good deal. Snap it up.

SoundNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Yes I do have the model # correct, TX NR807. The reason I'm caught up between the two is because the Marantz SR9200 is because it was a high-end AVR in its day (MSRP $3199) and the onkyo is a mid level AVR ( like $800-$900 I believe)... I do eventually plan on bi-amping with a decent/affordable amplifier in the near future though.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The title of the thread reads"...801" so that why I was a bit confused.
In any event, with the right BR player, one that has multi-channel analog outputs, an older receiver can be used but a newer receiver with hdmi 1.3 makes like a bit easier. And it comes with Audyssey room correction which can make a pretty big difference. For $250 I'd go with the 807. Those are enry level speakers so I'm not sure how much bi-amping them will help but you never know till you try it.

SoundNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Oh crap I'm sorry, I meant to say 807. They are entry level but they have 5 drivers so they are a little hungry (up to 275 watts)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have an old Marantz 7300 OSE (orig. spec. ed) laying aound that I had in the basement system at one point, then I tried a Pioneer 1120 (room was too big and amps for HT in that environment were a little too soft and laid back) and now have an Onkyo 1008 down there. I'd probably still give the edge to the Marantz for music only, but it's not a night and day difference - just little subtle things (and I am an admitted crazy audiophile - the basement is one of the few secondary systems I have - the Onkyo has a direct mode and pure audio mode for music).
In the main system, I decided to move away from a single pre/pro and go with a real preamp with HT Bypass. So I sold my old non-HDMI pre/pro and picked up a used Integra DTC 9.8. While not what I would want for music, it really impressed me for HT and I bought the factory refurb. Onkyo due to that.. I really like the Onkyo. While more of a 2-channel person, I do use it on occasion for multi-channel SACD and it sounds really good being fed by the Oppo BDP-93.
So I'd second what Gene had to say. The newer receiver is going to have HDMI for video and will be good. The basement room is probably 650+ square feet and for mains I have old B&W P6s (probably around 90db) but the size of the room requires a real amp. The Pioneer 1120 is doing fine in a 4.1 office system with old Mobile Fidelity OML-1s on the desk (overkill for the office system but sounds great). I have a newer Marantz 6003 in the secondary bedroom system. The only thing I really miss about the Marantz is its mixed mode which allows the subwoofer for movies and plays without it for music.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
This will give you a sense of how large the basement room is where the system is that has the Onkyo receiver:
[ATTACHMENT=286]Basement2.JPG (78k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Here's a little closer view so you can see the equipment a bit better. The Onkyo is on the top shelf of the rack which is recessed into the wall into the unfinished part of the basement. Most of the ceiling above the Onkyo unit is cut away and open for air flow.
[ATTACHMENT=287]Basement1.JPG (67k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The wattage rating on a speaker is not how much power they require, it is the point at which something will fail.
The amps on that Marantz are far better than any amps in any Onkyo IMO, but the Onkyo has the advantage in features. This is as close as you can get to having an external amp without needing one.
Biamping with Polk monitors is definitely not going to be a benefit to you, and no offense, but even an external amp is a waste of time with them. If you want to improve the sound, get new speakers.

SoundNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Thanks Phil for the photo's and info! And John I'm starting to realize that more and more now, and the next set of speakers I was looking into was the Polk RTI-A9's.
But its looking like some people don't even consider those High-End either.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
SoundNoob said:
Thanks Phil for the photo's and info! And John I'm starting to realize that more and more now, and the next set of speakers I was looking into was the Polk RTI-A9's.
But its looking like some people don't even consider those High-End either.
The RTiAs are a step up from the Monitors for sure, but I am not a big fan of Polk's recent stuff compared to their older stuff. I've owned LSi bookshelf speakers and they were pretty good. I reviewed the RTi-A3 some time back and I did like it, so that line wouldn't be a terrible choice. The only problem is, at the price point of the RTiA line, you have a lot of other good choices.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
SoundNoob said:
BTW Phil, What speakers and sub are you running there in the basement?
The left and right speakers are old B&W P6s that are probably a hair under 20 years old. A link below has some close-up shots and specs. I had an old (Phase Technology sub+ of around the same vintage and about a year and a half back I decided to treat myself to a new Dayton Audio sub (link) below, when it was it cheaper (around $700) on sale.
http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/32471-VENDIDO-VENDO-B-W-P6
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-765

SoundNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Oh very nice. To be honest, I've never heard high-end speakers in person. That is why I think my Monitor 70's are good.
My main problem is that I like to play music very loud. I have gone through 2 tweeters already and I do not know if it is because speakers are not meant to be played that loud, or they were underpowered with my crappy Sony HTIB 6.1 AVR. (STR-K990p)
I can see how being an Audiophile can be a rich man's hobby, but I don't want to lose hope, there must be an affordable set up out there that can take a beating and have some big sound.
Also, I have a Polk PSW-505 that I will admit is horrible (at least to me). It claims to be a 12" 350watt RMS sub, but doesn't sound much better than my Sony 10" 150watt sub. How is definitive audio's supercube 2? I saw one for sale in the $300 range, was wondering if its any good.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
SoundNoob said:
Oh very nice. To be honest, I've never heard high-end speakers in person. That is why I think my Monitor 70's are good.
My main problem is that I like to play music very loud. I have gone through 2 tweeters already and I do not know if it is because speakers are not meant to be played that loud, or they were underpowered with my crappy Sony HTIB 6.1 AVR. (STR-K990p)
I can see how being an Audiophile can be a rich man's hobby, but I don't want to lose hope, there must be an affordable set up out there that can take a beating and have some big sound.
Also, I have a Polk PSW-505 that I will admit is horrible (at least to me). It claims to be a 12" 350watt RMS sub, but doesn't sound much better than my Sony 10" 150watt sub. How is definitive audio's supercube 2? I saw one for sale in the $300 range, was wondering if its any good.
Yes - audio can be expensive. Some things are better to get on the used market (e.g. places like classifieds here or Audio Asylum, Audiogon, etc.) The Polks are probably not a hard load to drive but a HTIB or even a receiver is going to share power supplies and make things difficult when driving multiple channels. One way to get get around that is get a receiver that has preamp outs and an outboard amplfiier for the left and rights (or a monoblock amplfier for the center).
Even though the Onkyo 1000 in my basement had 9 channels of amplification built in and decent amplifiers, I have an 8.1 set-up and just use 6 channels of he the Onkyo (I have an old NAD amplifier driving the height channels). The room is very large and driving 6 channels only, and not difficult loads (like my main system) and it had plenty of power.
The main system is all separates (I have a 6.1 system with a 2-channel amp for the fronts, a 3-channel amp for the center and rears and a monoblock for the rear center - and 4 subs, 2 of which are being used for a distributed ".1" channel) and the Thiel 3.7s are not an easy load (but easier than my old Thiel 7.2s) - http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1208thi
The more efficient and easier load the speakers are, the easier it will be on the amplifier. A speaker that is 3db more efficient than what you have now will require half the amplifier power to play as loud as you play the system. If you're doing more HT then something like Klipsch may be a bit more efficient

SoundNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Phil A said:
If you're doing more HT then something like Klipsch may be a bit more efficient
I originally bought the Monitor 60's, the I saw the 70's on sale, so I had 4 speakers and went ahead on bought the CS2 center.
I have 5.1 because its nice for movies, but I don't play movies THAT loud.
2 channel stereo is where I really crank things up (I listen to a lot of eletronic/house music). Plus, it's clear that my AVR struggles to play music at high volume on ALL channels, so I don't even bother with that. But for moderate volume its okay.
That guy with the Onkyo Isn't replying, so I'm going to check around more and if not, maybe give the Marantz a try.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
SoundNoob said:
I originally bought the Monitor 60's, the I saw the 70's on sale, so I had 4 speakers and went ahead on bought the CS2 center.
I have 5.1 because its nice for movies, but I don't play movies THAT loud.
2 channel stereo is where I really crank things up (I listen to a lot of eletronic/house music). Plus, it's clear that my AVR struggles to play music at high volume on ALL channels, so I don't even bother with that. But for moderate volume its okay.
That guy with the Onkyo Isn't replying, so I'm going to check around more and if not, maybe give the Marantz a try.
Accessories4less.com is authorized for both Onkyo and Marantz. You can get a deal deal, especially with factory refurbs with an extended warranty. I go my Onkyo for the basement system from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks