What's new

Help! Losing my mind trying to decide between DLP and LCD... (1 Viewer)

Robert-J

Auditioning
Ok...I've been looking into this stuff for quite awhile and I am starting to lose my mind. Maybe I am overthinking this decision.

I am somewhat constrained by space so for now am looking at microdisplay RPTV's. As far as use, I expect to be about 30%HD, 30%NTSC, 30%DVD, and 10%PS2. Originally I was going to go with the Sony 42" Grand WEGA™ LCD Rear Projection HDTV KDF-42WE655. However, I am now also considering going with DLP because I can get a slightly larger screen into the same space. I am looking at the Samsung HL-P4663W 46" Widescreen HDTV (HD3 chipset - close out price of $1995), Samsung HL-R4667W 46" Widscreen HDTV (HD3 chipset - replacement set for the HL-P4663W above), and the Samsung HL-R4677W 46" Widescreen HDTV (HD2+ chipset).

Anyone that can offer me any insight or help in making this decision will be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that even though I have researched this quite a bit I am still relatively new to the subject.

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic LCD RP's are cheaper than the Sony's, and I prefer them still over DLP myself.

Some of the sale prices have been real good on the Panasonics.

Robert-J

Auditioning
Interesting that you should say that...I also thought about Panasonic's PT-44LCX65 44" Diagonal LCD Projection HDTV. I was told that it was getting very good reviews at CES. I just wasn't very familair with their products anymore. Does that Panasonic have native 720p? The spec sheet shows as 480p,1080i.

Please keep the feedback coming. I'd like to go out and get a set by this weekend so I have the holiday to mess around with it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, You mean like the Panasonic is really like x768???? Could be, it definetly accepts 720p, but may scale it to x768 I am not sure about this.

But in general, I give the display high marks on performance.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I recently purchased a Sony 55xs955 LCD and couldn't be happier. I did a lot of research and looked multiple times at pretty much everything out there. DLP was ruled out because of the rainbows. I was also told by many people that if you have a room with a lot of ambient light, like I do, then LCD is better. IMO the Panasonic LCD was nothing more than 3rd best when it came to LCD rear projection with Hitachi being #2. I didn't think that either one compared to the Sony Grand Wega though. Good luck!

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
My vote is for DLP, after a couple years of reading and viewing LCD and DLP, IMHO you cant beat DLP, in all reality with the exception of the bulb dimming over its lifetime, the picture on a DLP will never degrade, whereas on an LCD it will over time fade and degrade ie. blue polorizer and LCD panels fading out, Vertical Banding and Screen Door effect are also downfalls of LCD's, now yes yes I know that there is the whole rainbow effect thingy but I cant see it, I have tried to see it but still cant, I havent had anyone that can see them yet or anyone that gets headaches either so I think that the RBE problems is rare, and to me the deep blacks and rich colors on a DLP are extraordinary

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with Tim Markley's ranking of those three displays. Only the great sale pricing really makes the Panasonic attractive over the other two. It is still a way strong performer of all displays in general and LCD RP displays in specific.

Robert-J

Auditioning
Appreciate all of the feedback. For those that recommend going with a DLP screen, would you spend the extra money to get the HD2+ chipset? I have seen both and can't really tell the difference. I have been told that on action DVD's it may be more noticable.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

On a properly set up display most people just won't be able to tell the difference between the HD2 and 2+ performance.

The actual differences are far less than what the marketing machine makes you believe. It's a slight evolutionary improvement.

Regards

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
there are no affordable three-chip DLPs.

On the other hand, Travis, consider yourself fortunate for not being able to see the dread RBE. It probably makes a lot of things a lot easier for you..

Leo

(no, I'm not being sarcastic; it opens up a whole range of otherwise excellent displays that cost less than $25,000 to him that aren't available to a lot of other people.)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Almost all the DLP-based RPTV's utilize 5X speed color wheels. At that speed, 90% of the population would be unable to detect the "Rainbow Effect".

Most RPTV DLP's provide better black level than LCD displays and there will never be any problems with convergence, vertical banding, or some of the other issues that seem to come up with LCD. The only drawback to a RPTV DLP is the fact that the bulb will require changing every three-to-four years or so; but when you do replace that bulb the display will appear as good as the day you purchased the machine.

I'd say "go DLP!"

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

I am putting my vote in for DLP.

Like you, I did a lot of research and a lot of reading and ended up with the Samsung 61" DLP. I am very pleased with the set although it is not without its quirks. I found it took quite a while to set everything up to my liking and I was surpised to find that I had to re set everything when I change DVD players (swapped out an older panasonic for a newer one which was why I was suprised at the changes needed). However, once I got the setting to where I wanted them, the picture is quite impressivie from DVD and regular TV.

I had no issues with the RBE and neither do any of my friends thus far so it was not an issue for me.

I liked the RPLCD but found the pixelization during fast movement shots distracting and thought the blacks were better on the DLP.

That is my 0.02 for what it is worth.

Happy shopping. Let us know what you decide on.

Dave

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Which RPLCD did you see the pixelation on? None of the latest generation of rear projection LCDs that I looked at had any pixelation. My Sony Grand Wega definitely doesn't have it. That was a problem with previous generations as far as I know.

Rod_Rigo

Grip
LCD has come a long way in the past couple of years but I'd still go with DLP for the same reasons Joseph listed. You can't beat getting a new TV every 4 years for about $250.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Just to confuse everything even more!:laugh: :laugh:

The Flat panels are dropping in price rapidly. They are almost getting to a price people can afford. Check SAMS/CC/BB.
And the picture is fantastic.
I almost bought one at SAMS last week, but held back. I think they will drop some more by Christmas and then I am buying myself a Christmas present.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

As long as you don't leave the same picture on for hours you will not have a burn in problem. I have learned to change the channels every hour if I need background noise around the house. You know it would be a great feature if they had a built in random channel change.

Robert-J

Auditioning
Thanks for all of the advice / input. I took the plunge Tuesday and ordered the Samsung HLR4667W. Delivery and installation are this Friday so I will have the weekend to play around with it. (DVD's and some PS2)

When I looked at the LCD and DLP side by side I really couldn't see any major differences. Each had its minor drawbacks but overall I was very impressed with both. Since they were so close (to my eyes) the final factor in deciding was that Samsung put their speakers under the screen instead of on the side. This allowed me to go 4" larger and still fit it in my cabinet.

(I figure that I get to buy a front projector in a year when my basement is finished anyway. Then we'll see how things look on a 200" screen.)

I'll let you know my thoughts on Monday. Again, thanks!

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
I used to be a big advocate fan of DLP because of the better blacks, but then I noticed asome MAJOR pincushion distortion on a samsung DLP. I wondered if it was just a bad unit, but sure enough, EVER SINGLE DLP in the store had the same distortion, the skyscrapers on the clip were so bowed in it was unwatchable. The Samsung sets where the worst, but I also noticed it on the toshibas.

I don't know what is the culprit, but I cant stand it, so LCD gets my vote every time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks