What's new

Help! Klipsch Quintet with Sub & Receiver (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct /t/322172/help-klipsch-quintet-with-sub-receiver#post_3952666
Now, when I watch TV, Listen to iPod, and use the Xbox 360 and PS3 connected to the receiver, and routed through the reciever... sound is only coming out of the front speakers

First of all, iPod music will be stereo by default - for music listening, you will manually have to set the receiver to a mode like "Dolby ProLogic II" in order to simulate surround sound for a stereo source. A mode such as "All Channel Stereo" can sometimes be good for music, as it mostly preservers the stereo nature of the audio, but spreads it around equally to all speakers, whereas DPLII will only send small amounts of audio to the surround speakers.

For everything else, you mentioned in a previous post that your plan was to connect all devices (except the iPod, presumably) to the receiver via HDMI, then have single HDMI out from receiver to TV. Did you do this? That's how it SHOULD be set up - HDMI is capable of carrying digital surround audio information - provided the source has digital surround audio encoded with it.

If this is the case, the next step is to make sure each SOURCE device is configured to output digital surround audio and not simple stereo. I don't have an XBox or PS3, but I know they have various locations within their setup menus where you can specify the format of output audio.

Finally, once the sources are set up to output digital audio, and the connections between sources and receiver all support digital audio, is to make sure that the material you're watching is encoded with digital audio - as Robert alluded to, this is not always the case, particularly with TV broadcasts. If you get surround sound with some channels and not others the issue is likely the channel itself, and there's nothing you can do except use DPLII to simulate surround sound in those cases.

Real Name
charles
Jason Charlton said:
For everything else, you mentioned in a previous post that your plan was to connect all devices (except the iPod, presumably) to the receiver via HDMI, then have single HDMI out from receiver to TV. Did you do this? That's how it SHOULD be set up - HDMI is capable of carrying digital surround audio information - provided the source has digital surround audio encoded with it.
Yes, I have: Direct TV, Xbox 360, and PS3 all connected to Denon 1612 Receiver via HDMI Input. The Denon 1612 is then connected to my LG 42" via HDMI from the Denon HDMI output
Jason Charlton said:
If this is the case, the next step is to make sure each SOURCE device is configured to output digital surround audio and not simple stereo. I don't have an XBox or PS3, but I know they have various locations within their setup menus where you can specify the format of output audio.
I will have to go into these devices indivually then and see if I can find audio options....
Jason Charlton said:
Finally, once the sources are set up to output digital audio, and the connections between sources and receiver all support digital audio, is to make sure that the material you're watching is encoded with digital audio - as Robert alluded to, this is not always the case, particularly with TV broadcasts. If you get surround sound with some channels and not others the issue is likely the channel itself, and there's nothing you can do except use DPLII to simulate surround sound in those cases.
Any ideas how to configure this DPLII or digital surround for individual sources using a Denon 1600 series receiver? It may not be true 5.1 surround, but at least then I will be using the 2 rear speakers I took the time to mount and wire around the living room
PS... all you guys rule. Thanks so much for your help!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I have: Direct TV, Xbox 360, and PS3 all connected to Denon 1612 Receiver via HDMI Input. The Denon 1612 is then connected to my LG 42" via HDMI from the Denon HDMI output
I'm not familiar with the game systems but DirecTV has an audio setting that defaults to stereo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok...
Directv "audio option" is Dolby Digital. Set it to ON.
As for your PS3, it will have like 10 options...check them all.
Your BD player(if you have a separate one other than the PS3)...it has audio options.
In short, EVERYTHING has audio options so it knows what the "other end" is capable of.
I've not used a Denon in ages...but...
I would "presume"/"guess" that each input is defaulted to the last "sound mode" you had chosen...meaning...
The last time you used your Ipod(whatever input that is) if you used "All channel stereo"(or whatever Denon calls that)...the next time you choose that input...it will default back.
When you listen to your PS3, based on all the audio options you "clicked" in its set-up...it will determine the best option for what you are currently "doing" (be it BD, game, streaming Netflix)...and send "that" to the receiver...then the receiver will choose the "best thing to do" with what the PS3 is sending.
This is all in your owners manual.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the same receiver as you. I love my Denon!!!! Now... after you setup all your sources and have run the Audyssey setup just like I did, you won't ever hear a lot of sound coming from the rear speakers.
It wouldn't make sense to have the image you are looking at in front of you and the voices to come from behind you...That being said you will hear back ground noises (birds chirping, clapping, weather sounds which can be particularly startling, etc...) the one exception to this is while playing video games; as you have the control over the character and in what direction they face. So if you choose to turn your back on someone who is talking to you, you will hear them clearly from behind you.
But for music I too prefer the 5 channel stereo option.

Real Name
charles
Ok.... 1 more question for all of you. I think I have everything setup the way I want. Now, only problem I am having is that the xbox360 aspect ratio is not right. Xbox is connected to the reciever via HDMI, and then receiver HDMI to the TV.
I have tried making all the display adjustments I can on the xbox, and I just can't get it right. So now, I have it back to default 1080p signal being sent to the receiver. I am pretty sure that the receiver is not displaying the picture on the TV properly, not the xbox. I spent 45 mins last night going through menu options to adjust the picture using the receiver, and I couldn't find it.
Any ideas?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By "not properly"...
Bars on the side?
Bars top and bottom?
Part of the image "missing"?
???
Edit:
I don't even know...but...
Does the Denon have aspect ratio as well? If so...set it to "through"???
Yes, you have 3 separate aspect ratio places(probably actually 4)...
Set aspect in the TV.
Set Aspect in the receiver.
Set aspect in the Xbox.
Some games(and movies for that matter) have their own aspect choices.

Real Name
charles
Cuts off the edges of the picture on all sides. Looks like the picture is zoomed in. I was watching a movie on netflix yesterday and all the heads of people were cut off. Then I was playing a game, and a lot of the menu options that normally display were all cut off towards the bottom of the screen.
- I have tried making all the picture adjustments I can in the xbox, and no luck
- Looked for aspect ratio / display settings on denon 1612 receiver...couldn't find them.
- The TV settings have not been changed, so I haven't tinkered with those (yet)
When I get home, I'm planning on direct connect xbox to TV via HDMI just to narrow down where the picture is being scaled improperly. I'm almost certain it is the receiver, I'm just not sure how to adjust this on the receiver :confused:

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wish I had direct experience with XBox to help... I assume you can unplug the XBox from the receiver, and plug it into the TV and it displays correctly without any changed settings? If so, then the problem must be with the Denon.

Browsing the manual, check the "Input Setup/Video/Video Mode" setting referred to on page 69 - try setting it to "Movie" instead of "Auto" or "Game" - maybe there's something going in with overscanning or something...

That was the only setting I saw that raised a red flag in my mind...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is possible you accidentally hit a button as well.
The TX-SR707, when "not" in AVR mode...you touch the wrong button when in TV or DVD/BD mode...and all hell breaks loose...

Real Name
charles
Jason Charlton said:
Wish I had direct experience with XBox to help... I assume you can unplug the XBox from the receiver, and plug it into the TV and it displays correctly without any changed settings?  If so, then the problem must be with the Denon.
Browsing the manual, check the "Input Setup/Video/Video Mode" setting referred to on page 69 - try setting it to "Movie" instead of "Auto" or "Game" - maybe there's something going in with overscanning or something...
That was the only setting I saw that raised a red flag in my mind...
A lot of extremely helpful audio enthusiasts here... thanks so much for your help guys. Yes, I am almost certain it is a setting in the Denon receiver that I must have made on accident. I'll tinker with it tonight and post results if I find solution. Thanks so much for your help guys, you all rock :D

Real Name
charles
So, the issue is not the xbox. The direct tv,also plugged into denon via HDMI, is not scaled to the lg 42" screen. The picture and direct tv menu are not fully visible.
I went to MENU - INPT SETUP - VIDEO - VIDEO MODE - MOVIE
It was set to auto, I tried movie... but the picture didnt change.
Any other suggestions?

Real Name
charles
In the Denon 1612 receiver, if I go to:
MENU - INFORMATION - HDMI - HDMI INFORMATION
shows 1080i resolution, colorspace ycbcr 4:4:4, pixel depth 8bit.
When I use the xbox, it says same information, only 1080p'
Any ideas how to change receiver to send 16:9 input, not 4:3 (which I am almost certain it is doing) SOOOO frustrated!!! Help :(

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Alright friend, I can try and help too :) I have a 42"LG tv and the Denon 1612 and mine shows the correct aspect ratio so there is hope for you. First this isn't the receivers fault. It has HDMI pass through meaning it doesn't change the info for HDMI video. There is no setting to change the output aspect ratio.
My guess is it is the TV. If yours is a similar vintage to mine (2 yrs old) it should have on the remote a Q.menu button. once you press this you will be shown a list of options. the first on the list is the Aspect ratio selection. Toggle this until it reaches "just scan" or 16x9, both should work but just scan is preferable as it will change if you ever use a source that is 4x3. That should be it.
As I said i have the same TV Receiver combo as you. If you need more help I can talk you through it on the phone.

Real Name
charles
You sir are my hero. I know that it WILL work because it was displaying properly for the first 2 weeks of me using the denon 1612 with all my devices. Somewhere along the way, I changed a setting while setting it all up together, and messed something up.
My LG 42" flat screen was purchased 2-3 years ago. I will see if I can find TV model and manual, find aspect ration settings of TV. I'll post back with results. You guys all rule...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ahh, The Denon 1612 does NOT alter(or simply can't) the aspect...
I'm much more familiar with $800+ receivers and Onkyo/Integra/Yamaha.
Whenever I shop for AVR, one of the features I look for is "Aspect ratio setting per input"...
But I also still watch VHS, play Atari(Flashback), Wii and standard DVD that is native 4:3.
So I won't buy an AVR that can't set aspect/upscale per input...

Real Name
charles
So it sounds like the setting that changed must be in the TV settings....
I will play with the TV aspect ration settings when I get home and post results. Thanks guys!

Real Name
charles
Turns out the problem was the TV itself. LG tv was in ZOOM mode. I went to MENU - VIDEO - changed to 16:9
Thanks for all the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks