Help! ISF or Progressive scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Lambrou, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Chris Lambrou

2. Stevie B

Stevie B Auditioning

Might as well get it calibrated. Not much sense on spending more money just to remain unsure if the new player made any difference. Be sure to record all the settings once it is done.

3. Manh_T

Manh_T Auditioning

It is better to calibrate your RPTV first. Without calibration, even a progressive DVD don't give a sharp picture and a good color. Some time a technician spend 5-6 hours to do a job.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Get the DVD player first.
    The difference in picture quality from getting a prog scan dvd player is much greater than what an ISF person can do.
    There are also many steps of the calibration you can do yourself, such as the 64 point convergence.

5. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I would do the calibration, but FIRST CHECK out what the ISF tech is going to do for $300. Some just do a few things (grey scale, convergence [not necessarily mechanical convergence], color temp, etc.) My ISF guy charges $600, but there's more involved, making it about a 5-6 hour job. If you're not sure about the ISF tech, just get the player.
    Elbert

6. Chris Lambrou

Thanks for the info.
    My ISF guy charges $300 just for the grayscale. Convergence is extra. I have no idea how good he is but I did get him from the ISF website list of trained dealers (a little out of date by the way) and he has worked on my set many times.

7. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Two more points to consider:
    1)Calibration pays off with longer life of the RPTV.
    2)You can always search for a good USED progrssive player down the road, when someone else wants to upgrade or as prices come down even more....the calibration will not get cheaper down the road.
    Ron

8. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I still disagree. An ISF tech isn't going to give your TV a better line doubler. The tech's not going to give you 3:2 pulldown. There's NO way of getting rid of combing on DVDs without a (decent) progressive scan DVD player. An ISF isn't going to give you a FAR better non-anamorphic DVD picture.

9. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Kwang.
    It's an accepted fact that the source is everything. Many are living happily with their displays after having calibrated it themself using a good test DVD. Read up on several websites and perform the simple tweaks outlined. Get a progressive source. Later, when you have more funds, get grayscale done.
    ------------------
    The things we own, end up owning us