What's new

Help in choosing a sub: Velodyne CHT-120 vs. Polk Audio (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Well... I knew it, and I'll have to do something about it. I need a subwoofer for my new MartinLogan Scenarios. By themselves they are a step above impressive, but they do lack a lot of bass on the lower octaves.
Sad to say, living in Mexico doesn't leave me a lot of options when it comes to subwoofers. Options are limited. I can't really choose. Still, there are two competitors for my buying dollar (peso, actually) within my financial reach.
The first one is the Velodyne CHT-12. It's one of the higher end models of the lower end Velodyne line :). Link: http://www.velodyne.com/pages/produc...t_series.html. I actually bought this one, but the guys at the store gave me the option to exchange it for the Polk Audio PSW-650. Link: http://www.polkaudio.com/home/produc...y=7&speaker=48 .
Listening to them both at home is simply not an option. They are too heavy, too cumbersome, and I don't have time for a serious audition (sad, but true). I picked up the Velodyne, in fact, purely because of their reputation. The Polk is some 170 USD more expensive.
I have used the Velodyne for some time now, and I find it very musical, smooth, yet a bit underpowered.
The question is: what can you do when you simply can't audition both subs? Store auditioning is next to impossible: the store has no space for a serious audition (besides, they always tend to bottom out the speakers in an effort to make them sound "good"). Can I trust reviews? Is there a general consensus on the Polk subwoofer?
Thanks for your help!
Javier.

Cy Jervis

Agent
I liked the CHT-12 better than the Polk so I bought it. I don't see how it could be underpowered though it shakes my whole house. Mine sounded O.K. at first (behind the couch) but after being properly placed (in the corner) it was Awesome. I also got a Monster Cable which helped alot.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I prefer the Velo, myself.

Javier, have you tried to calibrate your system? If the sub isn't set up right, per a signal, it could sound UNDERwhelming and not be what your thought. Just a thought...

Matt

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I LIKE THE vELODYNE BETTER THEN EVERY pOLK SUB i'VE HEARD, BUT i HAVE NOT HEARD THE 650.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I saw one post where a guy picked up a cht 150 for $450. I run the ct 150 same as the cht except the front grill and it does a great job imo. I wander why I don't see more about them on this forum. I do know they sold many and they were received well. I saw a cht 150 on line a few days ago for $460 something.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
The sub is correctly positioned, I think. I thought it's underpowered because of the way the volume limiter works (which, I have to admit, is not a bad thing to have): once you push the sub past its limits, it cuts down a bit on volume and it stays there. I just realized that.
I'm beginning to like it a lot, though. Compared with my PF-15 (DefTech), it's a lot more musical and fast. I haven't yet installed it with the Logans (it's playing with a couple of DefTechs) but I think I'll keep this one based on Velo's reputation and the fact that I do like it. :)
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks