Help for a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by icanlift2kg, Mar 24, 2013.

1. icanlift2kg

icanlift2kg Auditioning

Sam
    Hey everyone!
    I am having my birthday soon and all I really want is a sound system. Now I'm not looking for anything upmarket but just some very solid for the money speakers etc. I am also having a party soon so this is why I am also looking for help. Now I have opted to go with a receiver, 1 sub and 1 speaker.

The receiver is a toss up between the Onkyo TX-8050 or the Onkyo TX-NR509. They look very good for the price and have iphone connectivity which is important for the party. Which one is better?

The speaker is a Boston Acoustics CS 26 II - For only $80 at a website I have found, this looks extremely good and reviews tell of the quality (especially for money).

And finally the subwoofer is a Polk Audio PSW505. Again great for money and good quality.

My question is with all of these parts to my sound system, how do they connect correctly into 1 smooth system? I am quite sure they all would just connect into the receiver with the specified inputs and outputs but as I am a newbie, I have no real idea! And once they are all connected, do I just plug the receiver into a power point with my iphone connected via the usb port on the receiver and away we go? Also, if you could tell me how to do it in a newbie explanation that would be appreciated :)

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The 509 is a 5 channel surround sound receiver while the 8050 is a 2 channel stereo receiver. The 509 can be used for a nice multi-channel home theater setup in the future if your needs change. The 8050 can only be used for 2 two channel setup.

You need two speakers for it to sound right. I've never heard of anyone hooking up just one speaker to a stereo or multi-channel receiver.

Also consider the BIC F-12 subwoofer. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=303-436

Or the V1220 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=303-432

Ac4l.com has the 509 for $199 + shipping http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR509/Onkyo-TX-NR509-5.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html They have many other models as well.

They also have the CS 26's as refurbs for $65 each + sh http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSCS26IIB/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-CS26-Classic-II-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Black/1.html?c=tj

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Completely skip the "one speaker" idea. There is absolutely no pont, at all, whatsoever, to do one speaker and a subwoofer. Period.

Buy two speakers and forget the subwoofer.

4. icanlift2kg

icanlift2kg Auditioning

Sam
    alright sounds good! I shall buy 2 speakers and get a sub after my next speaker or so :) I will also go with the 509 for the receiver!

is accessories4less a reliable website?

5. icanlift2kg

icanlift2kg Auditioning

Sam
    Also as I asked before, once the speakers are simply plugged into the receiver do you just plug the receiver into a power point with your iphone attached, press play and BAM everything works?

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Why are you choosing a 5.1 AVR? Just curious.

Depending on receiver, yes...it is "plug and play". Especially since you aren't connecting any video(which is my main wonder why you are buying an AVR instead of a stereo receiver).

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes, ac4l.com is as reliable as anyone else, but no one is perfect. I've used them a few times without any issues and they are a "factory authorized dealer" for the items they sell. This is important for the warranty to be valid.

8. icanlift2kg

icanlift2kg Auditioning

Sam
    Just the fact I know I will want to watch movies in the future on it :)
    Yeah I'm from Australia so found out I cannot buy from them. Know any websites that are international that sell electronics like receivers etc to Australia? Amazon does not

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That is why you add in your location.

Then we know we can't say look on A4L, CL or NewEgg.

There was a guy on here once who listed stuff from a used source, which was quite good. It was auction, so you never knew till the end if you got it. India has numerous stores that sell international. But, being in the US...we don't understand Rupee to USD. Let alone Rupee to AusDollar.