What's new

Help! Cpu Installation. (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me or direct me to a page about cpu installation. I will be installing a shim, some artic silver, cpu, heatsink and fan.

Also a question about shims:
One of my friends said that a shim helps with cooling transfer, but how could it considering it limits contact with the cpu, because it only covers the edges of the cpu and not the entire cpu.To find out what I'm talking about go here
Is it a good idea to use a shim.
I'm going to use it with the OEM fan heat sink that comes with the amd XP 1800.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The shim keeps you from crushing the cpu with the heatsink. It doesn't do anything for cooling transfer.

You only need arctic silver on the actual processor (the smooth metal square in the middle, less than 1 square cm).

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I don't like shims for the simple reason that if your shim isn't PERFECT, and I do mean perfect, it will cause some thermal problems with your cpu. basically imagine this the shim has to have every point on it the same exact height as the cpu core. This isn't as easy to achieve as one might think. Shims don't help at all with thermal transfer as any heat that would go through the shim would have to transfer through the ceramic of the cpu's casing which isn't likely with the core being a good conductor of heat.

those are just my beliefs on the shim. . . I don't use them, I've never seen a reason to use them. If your just patient and take your time you won't damage your cpu.

as for putting the cpu in and putting the heatsink on I can give you a quick thing on it.

installing the cpu into the zif socket is easy, pull the lever up put the cpu in applying a small amount of force evenly across the cpu with a few finger push the lever back down.

use a piece of plastic from a bag or the like to cover your finger then using a minuet amount of the thermal greese apply an near paper thin layer onto the cpu. The layer of thermal greese should easily be able to be seen through. You just want enough thermal grease to fill in molecular imperfections not act as a thermal interface. you want to do the same exact thing the base of the heatsink. To save on grease you need only apply the thin layer in the center of the heatsink that will contact the core. I like doing up the cpu first and then taking any excess I might have acidently put on the core to do up the heatsink. . . the heatsink has a larger area you can coat so it's forgiving if you put too much on.

if there is already a thermal interface material on the heatsink use some denatured alchohol to get it off.

grab a small flathead screw driver for this one:
with the newly installed cpu on the motherboard laying flat (doesn't matter if it's in a case or not). place the heatsink ontop of the cpu and the applying force on the heatsink where it contacts the core with one hand use the other to connect the one side of the clip that doesn't have the notch in it, then take your screw driver place it in the notch of the other side of the clip and gently (slowley) apply pressure to it to make the clip hold onto the socket.

now just plug the fan in and there you go!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The Artic Silver website has a nice little pictoral to walk you through it. Also, follow the instructions provided by your heat sink mfr.

I agree, shims are a waste of money. Unless you're an absolute brute you aren't going to crush the core.

Brian E

Screenwriter
A shim is not necessary at all. Just pay attention to what you're doing & make sure you're putting the HS/Fan on in the right direction you'll have no problems.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Install the heatsink correctly.

Prior to powering up can you slip a thin piece of paper between the core and the HS? If so, perhaps you should try again. Using Artic Silver will help too...you can sort of "feel" contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks