What's new

help connecting two VCRs (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
cross-posted from the "basics" forum.

i'm not completely new to stereo and wiring stuff up, but i've only had my multi-channel receiver a few years, and have yet to take full advantage of it, since i only have a single pair of speakers.

but yesterday, I decided i'd at least connect my two VCRs to it properly. until know, I've split the RF coax cable, and run one side to VCR2, the other side to my cable box and then out via RCA to VCR1. RCA oiuts also from the cable box to the tv inputs of the receiver. the line-out of VCR2 runs to the line-in2 of VCR1, and the output from there runs to the receiver, a Denon 3300. RCA out from the receiver to the tv(no S-video or component connections on the tv.

i wanted to connect it up correctly, VCR2's outputs to the Denon's VCR2 inputs, the Denon's VCR2 outputs to the vcr's inputs, and similarly with VCR1. so far i've only switched VCR2. I assumed that by doing this, whatever source signal went from the cable box via the TV/DBS input on the receiver would be seen when the vcr had the line input selected, but all i get is blue screen. when i play a tape in VCR1, and set VCR2 to record, it will record the signal, and likewise with a tv signal. but I can't view the program being recorded if i set thereceiver to VCR2, all i get is blue screen. the only time i can see the tv pcture when VCR2 is selected on the receiver is when i have the RF cable connected and use the vcr's tuner.

is this normal, or should i be able to see whatever signal is being passd through the receiver to the VCR?and if I should, what do i have to change with my connections/settings to be able to do so?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Simpler solution...dual tuner cable DVR box.

:)

bruinstoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Just curious, I have to rewire my grandfathers system and it is similar to yours. What was your solution.

Thanx,

Rob

RobertW

Supporting Actor
sorry, I haven't bothered to check out this thread since resolving the problem.

I had it wired up properly, I just had a brain cramp and had forgotten that to receive a line-in signal from something other than the main source selected, I needed to switch the receiver's source input to multi-source. in this way, whatever source I chose, like TV, would get directed to the VCR's line inputs.

without switching the source inputs, if I turned the source selector to VCR2 for example, I got only the blue screen because i was causing a signal loop-the signal out from the VCR2 was being directed back into the VCR2's inputs, and since I wasn't playing a tape, no picture displayed.

now, in this way, I can record on either VCR using their tuners, or can record on one VCR using it's tuner, and the other using the line input, like I would need to in order to record from my cable box. or, I can watch tv, while one VCR records from the other, just by changing the multi-source input from tv to the source VCR. or record six hours of radio,like a live concert broadcast or something, etc., just by changing the multi-source input.

hopefully, i haven't confused things too much for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks