What's new

Help! Connecting DVD to receiver (1 Viewer)

mike_p_t

Agent
I recently purchased a new ONKYO receiver. In certain spots in several movies I can see interference in the form of fuzzy lines that zap across the screen. It kind of looks like a UPC bar code. When I run the DVD player straight to the TV everything is fine. I have 3 different component cables(all of them very low end) and I have tried every combination I can think of to try and find out if one is bad. All of them work when ran directly to the TV. Could the problem be coming from the different cables?

Thanks,
Mike

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you have enough inputs on the TV and don't mind switching that way, it is most often the best way to go. It is quite possible the problems are running them thru the rec'rs circuitry. If you can take the cables to a store with the same rec'r you can try it out. Any time you add add'l circuitry in the way, it is always possible to have more problems. If the cables all work properly when connected to the TV directly, there likely is some factor to do with the rec'r.

mike_p_t

Agent
I knew(and was afraid) that some one would say that.
I had have plenty of connections on the TV but I have grown to like the one touch switch.
This is actually the third one I have had in 2 weeks. The first 2 were JVC’s. I called JVC and they told me to turn it off for an hour and if that did not work, to send it in for repair. Well, I did not want to send in a brand new receiver for service. So I got the ONKYO and the same thing happened. At that point I knew that something must be happening in the transfer between receiver and DVD player.

Thanks for the response.
Mike

SteveCallas

Second Unit
That makes no sense to me. If you had enough inputs on the tv in the first place, why even bother routing it through the receiver? To save you 2 seconds from pushing one extra button?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I completely agree with Steve. Even if it was the cable quality, which I doubt, why purchase 2 sets of cables to get what pretty much has to be to some extent a degraded signal. Would you want to buy a bottom of the line economy car and pay more for it than a good luxury car? It could be something between the electronics (e.g. DVD player and rec'r) that accentuates a problem. I haven't looked into video swithing recently but several yrs. back when my friend worked in an audio shop we walked in and saw a horrible picture on the TV (it was hooked up with 'S' cables running thru the rec'r and good quality expensive ones - probably $100 each) and we took out the connection to the rec'r and the difference was night and day.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Get a universal remote. The Harmony remotes were built for just this purpose. Your fiancee will absolutely love it, as will you. If you don't use a dvr, you can pick up a Harmony 659 really cheap. If you use a dvr, the 680 and 676 are available on amazon for about $100. You'll wonder how you lived without one. Unlike the "universal" remotes that come with your components, but still require you to keep your factory remotes around to do functions like changing inputs, once you get the Harmony programmed, all the other remotes can go in a drawer. Seriously, it will cure the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks