What's new

Help connecting Blu-Ray player to old projector (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All the "video graphics" back and forth started because of this...(from him)
"That website says the projector has a max resolution of 1280x1024.... Not sure what that means for me. Obviously that's not HD format. Any idea what would happen if I went ahead with the setup?"
To wit, I replied...
"Well no, cause that is a video graphics resolution..."
Apparently he can't figure out that "broadcast" and "video graphics" are different things...

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the reply Jim. First off, the whole point of my initial post was to find out if using a VGA converter would be worth the trouble. I've found one that is HDCP compliant and that allegedly preserves the signal quality. This means theoretically I should be able to get a 720p output from the Blu-Ray player to the projector. That won't look like crap! (I hope - the length of the VGA cable worries me).
Beyond that, I was trying to educate myself on what Sam meant when he was referring to video graphics. I work on computers a lot, and when used with no other context the term "video graphics" is very vague. I found to my frustration that he took a very condescending approach and just repeated himself, as if that would help me understand. I now understand that he was using that term to differentiate VG standards from Broadcast standards. Repeating yourself generally isn't a good way to help people understand a new concept Sam.
Regardless, I think I'm going to go ahead with the setup using the converter. I can always return the parts if they don't work. Again, thank you for the help from everyone.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
About the "HDMI or VGA" length...
Use as short as possible HDMI and as long as possible VGA. VGA/component(in other words analog) travels a lot farther than HDMI(digital) does...
Especially since you are ending up in an adapter. I'd buy a 1 foot HDMI and cap the HDMI/VGA right there. Complete the rest VGA.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And my repeating "Video Graphics" is akin to a mechanic, talking to a person about engines...
"That one is Diesel, not gasoline"...
Is the same "vagueness". Yet totally acceptable ways to explain to people why two things are different...yet accomplish the same thing.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
mgio90 said:
Thanks for the reply Jim. First off, the whole point of my initial post was to find out if using a VGA converter would be worth the trouble. I've found one that is HDCP compliant and that allegedly preserves the signal quality. This means theoretically I should be able to get a 720p output from the Blu-Ray player to the projector. That won't look like crap!
I hope I'm wrong. What I think looks like crap, you may not. The problem is not the converter you are going to use, it's the projector. It's a very old, outdated projector, with terrible specs.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I haven't heard anything about aspect ratio in this discussion. The actual projection of SXGA and 720P HD are very different beasts.
This projector was designed as a conference room projector to be hooked up to a computer back in the old days before computers went widescreen, hence the 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions and 4:3 aspect ratio.
This could be akin to trying to play a DVD in anamorphic mode on a non-anamorphic TV (for those of you that remember those days).
If you're dead-set on actually using this projector, you're better off hooking it up to a computer with the video card resolution set to one of the projector's supported resolutions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aspect ratio is a moot point. I'm not even sure if I even have a laptop in the house that supports SXGA...and I don't even care to find out. All three of my laptops are 1080P. All displays in my house(that aren't analog tubes) are 720P/1080i/P.
Does anybody still make a computer that supports SXGA? I'm sure somebody does...
Point being he knows enough about computers to ask a question about a SXGA projector(unless he can't connect the dots about his own question), yet doesn't understand "video graphics"...
So his query about "max native" being SXGA is confusing at best...but he works with computers...?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Any computer with an external video adapter will support SXGA. You'd be hard-pressed to find video drivers that don't support resolutions as low as 800x600 for backward compatibility. Most modern widescreen computer displays of the LCD persuasion are not technically a native HD resolution, but rather a video display resolution and aspect ratio that is close but not quite there (16:10), and the playback software will scale material to appear properly on the displays.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
mgio90 said:
Hi all, as the title says, I need some help with my blu-ray player. My parents "inherited" our home theater setup when they bought their new house so I'm not too familiar with it yet. My basic understanding is this: Our receiver is outputting signal via component cables which run along the wall. The cables are hooked up to what I believe is a component to VGA converter. Long story short, the receiver outputs through component, the projector gets input via VGA. Enter the new Blu-Ray player. It only outputs through composite or HDMI (which I find bizarre). I want to run an HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player to the receivers HDMI input, run a second HDMI from the receiver's HDMI output to some sort of HDMI-to-VGA-converter, which would then connect to the VGA input on the projector. I have two main questions: 1. Is HDCP going to an issue with this setup? Will I need a converter that explicitly states its HDCP compliant? 2. Since the Blu-Ray player will be directly plugged into our receiver (which is obviously hooked up to the surround sound), I'm hoping I wont need to bother with the ridiculous 3.5mm audio jack on the converter box. Is this a safe assumption? Thanks!
Wow this thread has gone off the deep end. Short answers: 1) I don't believe that you'll have an issue with HDCP since it's a digital copy protection scheme and the VGA cable will be sending an analog signal. That box looks like exactly what you need. Set it to 1024x768, the native resolution of your projector. You may want to ask NewEgg if the device will have a problem with HDCP. 2) Yes. You may be surprised at how good your Blu-Ray player will look on that 1024x768 projector. I'm using an ancient Infocus X1 800x600 projector and it looks fabulous with component video from HD sources. I'm very happy with it and just bought a new bulb for under $200!

Phototone

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene McCluney
The thing about a projected image, a moving image, is that the sharpness and clarity we perceive is greater than the actual single frame sharpness really is. Depending on your seating and viewing distance and size of the picture, you CAN have a decent image with a less-than-ideal projector. BUT..one factor to consider is that if your projector has the old 4:3 aspect ratio for its image generating chip, then all wide-screen content will only use the middle part of the imager, so your effective resolution will be less than the projector "could" deliver.

On a modern 1080p (native resolution) projector, more, if not all of the whole image-generating chip is used for the whole picture,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks