What's new

Help connecting Blu-Ray player to old projector (1 Viewer)

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hi all, as the title says, I need some help with my blu-ray player. My parents "inherited" our home theater setup when they bought their new house so I'm not too familiar with it yet. My basic understanding is this: Our receiver is outputting signal via component cables which run along the wall. The cables are hooked up to what I believe is a component to VGA converter. Long story short, the receiver outputs through component, the projector gets input via VGA.
Enter the new Blu-Ray player. It only outputs through composite or HDMI (which I find bizarre). I want to run an HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player to the receivers HDMI input, run a second HDMI from the receiver's HDMI output to some sort of HDMI-to-VGA-converter, which would then connect to the VGA input on the projector.
I have two main questions:
1. Is HDCP going to an issue with this setup? Will I need a converter that explicitly states its HDCP compliant?
2. Since the Blu-Ray player will be directly plugged into our receiver (which is obviously hooked up to the surround sound), I'm hoping I wont need to bother with the ridiculous 3.5mm audio jack on the converter box. Is this a safe assumption?
Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you need one HDCP compliant.
It would help to know what this projector is, because it amazes me how often people have a DVI-D connection...and don't realize it.

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Alright, I've doubled checked the projector for a DVI port. There isn't one that I can see. The projector is a Mitsubishi and is over 10 years old. I don't know the exact model because it came with the house and the previous owners didn't leave any documentation. I've also found this converter, which claims its HDCP 1.2 compliant. I'm assuming that would work?

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I'm 100% sure the projector can handle 720p. We don't have anything to output a 1080 signal though, so I can't really test it. Assuming the Blu-Ray spits out a 1080p signal and the projector can't handle that, will it downgrade the signal or will the display just not work?

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I did some digging. I found the exact projector online. It's a Mitsubishi VL-2000. That website says the projector has a max resolution of 1280x1024.... Not sure what that means for me. Obviously that's not HD format. Any idea what would happen if I went ahead with the setup?

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
You lost me with that last post. Does the website give any info on whether or not 1080 is supported?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Repeating....
That resolution(1280x1024) is for video graphics. It "is" HD...but it ins't a broadcast standard.
Video graphics, in other words...video graphics.

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Repeating yourself isn't very helpful. I didn't understand the implication of what you said the first time around, giving me the same information again doesn't really help us move forward. Furthermore, the website you linked gives me no insight into what you mean by "video graphics." That's an incredibly vague term. The GPU in my computer produces "video graphics," - it could be said that the TV produces "video graphics" as well. What's the distinction between "video graphics" and output resolution?
At this point, all I need to know at this point is whether or not the projector can handle a 1080 signal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
720P is a resolution used in television broadcast.
1080I is a resolution used in television broadcast.
1080P is a resolution used for BD and "some" online content.
SXGA(shortened) is a resolution used for video graphics.
All 4 are HD.
And...
"At this point, all I need to know at this point is whether or not the projector can handle a 1080 signal."
More than likely not. Being as old as that projector is, it probably doesn't "scale" any resolutions to fit. You probably need to have your sources(or AVR) set for 1080I or 720P.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To help out further...
That projector is native(from your own link from PC)...
1024x768 Pixels
That "is" 720P. It isn't called 720P because when that projector was new(eons ago) the US government (nor any other governments for that matter) had finalized what "HD broadcast" was going to be.
So, that projector can show, at least, two resolutions...
720P and SXGA. Period.
SXGA does not exist on anything but video graphics. There is absolutely no other way to say video graphics...other than video graphics....period. simple.

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thank you for clarifying. I did some wikipedia research and I think I understand now. By "video graphics," you mean a VGA connection. I had no idea what context you were using that term in.
Again, thanks for the help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Close enough...as
SXGA is not VGA...
But to further explain that would create even more mass confusion...
It is like discussing the differences between SPDIF, Toslink and Digital Coax...
All three do the same thing...but are not the same thing...

mgio90

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Well Sam, I'm still totally lost as to what you mean by video graphics then. Like I said, I have no reference point for what your talking about, so saying "video graphics" is just very very vague.
As for replacing the projector - it's going to happen as soon as the bulb goes. My parents are prepared to do it but refuse to spend more money until it's absolutely necessary!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll try it this way...
All those "red resolutions" are VIDEO GRAPHICS...(well all the ones that have "GA")
Everything above XGA is HD....
And no, HD does not mean "broadcast resolution".
1080P is a broadcast resolution. 1080P is not "video graphics"
Just like SXGA is not broadcast resolution....it is "video graphics"...
Can't make it any plainer...
Some of them (VGA being the biggest example) started out as VIDEO GRAPHICS but morphed into a broadcast standard...as VGA=480P. But...they use different clock speeds...
And HD 720(in other parlance, 720P) started out as WXGA, but again...different clock speeds. (if you notice WXGA is on there twice)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't understand all the back and forth about video graphics. Who cares? Michael, you just want to get the projector to work with a Blu-ray player, correct? From your projector's link, it only has 2 inputs: Video(I assume they mean composite) and Computer(I assume they mean VGA). Since it's going to look like crap anyway, did you try hooking up the projector to Blu-ray player with composite(yellow cable)? Your other choice is to try one of the HDMI-VGA converters, but they may not work. As you probably know, the problem is trying to get a VERY old projector to work with new technology. I think that projector is even more than 10 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks