What's new

Help - Computer Not Recognizing Sound Card? (1 Viewer)

Kevin H

Agent
I think my computer isn't recognizing the fact that i have a sound card installed right now. It was working fine, then crashed, I restarted (Windows ME) and now it doesn't see the sound card so all i get is an internal beep from the computer itself whenever a sound should be played by a program (such as the "message receive" in AIM.

In Winamp it says "MMSYSTEM002 A Device ID has been used that is out of the range for your system." When I go to the control panel and look at sounds, it says (grayed out, so that I can't select anything else) that there is no playback device chosen. I have restarted the computer and that did not work.

When I check Device Manager, there is no Audio tab there. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of questions and a suggestion or two. First off, there wouldn't be a "tab" for audio in DevMan. There would be a listing on the tree for "Sound, video and game controllers" your soundcard should show up there.

Next, is your sound card a plugin or onboard? That is, does it plug into a pci slot, or is it a chipset on the motherboard?

If the former is the case-

download the latest drivers for your card,

shut down the box,

pull the card,

boot the machine,

go into DevMan and remove the device,

restart the box,

double check DevMan to verify that the device is gone,

shut down the box,

install the card and reboot,

install the downloaded drivers when prompted by the HW found wizard.

If the latter-

download the latest drivers,

then just remove the device from DevMan and reboot.

It should autodetect when windows comes up. If it doesn't manually install the drivers with the add new HW wizard.

T

Kevin H

Agent
OK how do I go about finding which card is the sound card, and how do I take it out? I can't find it in any of the manuals that came with my computer, but I know that my sound card uses the Crystal Audio codec, so I kind of looked for that on the three cards that I saw sticking up.

Basically....how does one tell the difference between a sound card and a video card, and how do I take it out?

Here are the audio specifications:

Attribute

Properties

Sound

3-D stereo, PCI, 16 bit sound

Controller

AMC97 Codec

Crystal Sound Card (Chip on motherboard)

Noise Cancellation

Yes

Line Out

Yes

3-D Spatializer

Yes

Wavetable

Yes

Tone Control

No

Microphone

With HP Pavilion Multimedia Display

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, you answered your own question.
Your card is onboard, which means it's a chipset installed directly on the motherboard, and can't be physically removed from the system. I'd suggest the following-
1) Download the latest driver by going to this
link, enter the model of your computer, ie pavillion 6350, and on the search results click the drivers and downloads link next to the listing that matches your system.
2) Go into device manager and remove the entry for your sound card under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, then close device manager.
3) Go into control panel and use the add new hardware wizard to install the downloaded driver.
T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks