Help choosing/setting up home theater surround sound/projector

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jheiser, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jheiser

jheiser Agent

Hello,

I recently converted my garage into a home theater. I am running a Infocus Proxima dp6680 projector which is high def capable on a 120'' screen. The surround sound I have is pretty old and needs to be upgraded but on a budget. The room is 15' x 15' so I don't believe I need a ton of power. The system I currently have is my first system ever (Sherwood receiver and Jensen 5.1 speakers). I've been doing my homework and need some help/info. All recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also any info on hooking up or putting together any of these units and devices is appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    What exactly are you replacing? What do you need advice on?

3. jheiser

jheiser Agent

I'm currently looking at replacing the whole system and would like some recommendations on a system for a room of that size. My friend has some harman kardon surround speakers that I am going to look at tomorrow and I will post the model number. To start out I may use the harman kardon speakers and sub and purchase a new receiver and center channel then upgrade the speakers as I go along.

4. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    What is your budget?

Getting good bass will be more of a challenge for you since your room is square. You will need to consider carefully where you place your seats. Your best option may be 2 subs if your budget will allow it.

5. jheiser

jheiser Agent

Thanks for the reply. The room is roughly 15' x 13.5', so it is relatively square. My current plans for this room are kind of multi-purpose. I installed a laminate hardwood floor and a acoustic drop ceiling and the projector is mounted directly under the drop ceiling. My seating is currently directly under the projector against the 13.5' wall (~12.5' from projector screen). For regular television I am looking for a 32" lcd television for the other wall perpindicular to the projector screen.
    My budget is kind of pending as of now. My friend is going to let me take a look at his system tomorrow and I know he has an Onkyo receiver and harman kardon speakers but I am not sure how old the system is. However, I would like to gradually upgrade the system starting with whatever can't be used from his system. For a receiver I am thinking in the $500 - $800 range. Would this be enough power and sound for a room of this size? If need be I'd rather take my time and save the money to purchase the components needed to make this system right.

6. jheiser

jheiser Agent

I'm still waiting on my friend to get back to me with the harman kardons. I am currently looking at Behringer 2030p's and a dayton sub. Any thoughts? Also I found an Onkyo 876 for under $700.

7. jheiser

jheiser Agent

Overall my budget for this system will be ~$2000.

8. David Willow

Supporter

Dave
    Most of your budget should go for the sub and speakers, so focus on the them first. Then look at the receiver. There is nothing wrong with the 876, but the 707 or 607 will be nearly identical. The higher end models have extra bells and whistles that are nice, but not absolutely necessary. If your budget allows for the 876 after you get your speakers, then go for it. Otherwise, choose a lower model.

Here's a good place to start (and one of my favorites): http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

9. jheiser

jheiser Agent

Yea I agree with you as well. I want to focus on the speakers than find a nice receiver. Someone else recommended the svs website to me. I havn't been able to find many reviews on these speakers though. Anywhere I can find those? Or is there any stores I may be able to go to and listen to these babies such as Best Buy? I love the design and look of these speakers because they seem a bit more compact than the Behringers and I don't want a big and bulky look.

10. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    If you're going to have the TV on a different wall from the projector's image, then that will introduce some challenges for the speaker system. That is, you can have surround sound for one but not for the other. This suggests to me that you're expecting to have surround sound for the projector and to use only the TV's internal speakers when you're watching it. is that right?

What signal sources are you going to use?
    Blu-ray? DVD? CD? VCR? CableTV? Media Server? iPod?

How were you planning to connect them all to the two different displays?

I'd suggest using HDMI to connect as many as possible of the input devices to the AVR and their analog outputs to the TV.

If both displays are on the same wall, then the problem is somewhat simpler, although connecting both displays using HDMI does have its challenges.

I hope these thoughts help a little.

11. David Willow

Supporter

Dave
    If you go to SVS website they have some links to reviews. Plus there are many owners here and other boards (I own an SVS sub, not the speakers). They are much nicer than anything you can find at Best Buy. The guys who started the company met right here on HTF.

I agree that you should listen for yourself. There may be someone in your area that can let you demo these (call or e-mail SVS, maybe they can help). Since they are internet direct, there are no stores. You do get 30 days to evaluate them in your house (the best way). If you do not like them, you can send them back for a refund (minus return shipping).

Other brands you should consider include Axiom (I own these), HSU, and other internet direct companies. I'm sure you will get more recommendations. Just remember the final choice is yours - we all have our favorites.

12. jheiser

jheiser Agent

Selden-I've been thinking the same thing. I don't want to invest into a decent system and only be able to use it on one television. I'd like to be able to use it on both the projector and the television. Any ideas? I've been thinking about just backing my pull down screen from the wall a bit and mounting it in the ceiling just further from the wall. Draw back is I'm already squeezed against the other wall with the projector and the projected image will fall short of the 120" screen. My projector is already all the way zoomed in as well. Then I will be able to just mount the TV on the same wall and the projector screen will clear the television when pulled down.

My signal sources as of now are Blue-ray (either blue-ray player or perhaps just a PS3), HD DVD player that I will also use for CD's, HDTV, and an iPod dock of some sort. I plan on connecting them as you said, through the AVR then going to the TV and Projector but I'm not sure how I will approach that yet. Your info def helped and I appreciate it.
    David-Yea I've found a few reviews. I guess I was just looking in the wrong areas. As of right now I am looking at the S-series with the upgraded PB12-NSD to help the squarness of my room. I am thinking I will pair this with an Onkyo TX-NR807. Any thoughts? I agree and I am going to try and find someone in my area with these so I can maybe get a listen but worst case scenario I test them. I'm going to also look into the axion speakers.
    I plan on adding a simple design and some photos of my HT as of now so I can give you guys a better idea of the space and set-up I am dealing with. I appreciate all the help and things are starting to look clearer now lol.

13. jheiser

jheiser Agent

[​IMG]

14. jheiser

jheiser Agent

I posted a design of my HT so far and the forum is holding it for review as I am new to this forum. I'm guessing they will post it soon.

15. jheiser

jheiser Agent

The forum posted the layout of my room. Let me know what you guys think and if there is any concerns.

16. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    May I ask why you're planning on getting both a TV and a projector? It seems that you're adding unnecessary complication to matters. There's really no reason one can't use the projector for regular TV viewing (I do).

Just a thought.

17. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Jason,

One reason is that projectors are expensive to run: bulbs are expensive and have a limited lifetime (typically less than 3000 hours). So for casual and daytime viewing a TV may be more appropriate.

James,

One possibility to consider would be identical speakers all around, plus an extra center speaker (for the TV) with a speaker switch to change the configuration -- which are fronts and which are surrounds. The quality of the sound would be somewhat compromised, though. Then everything could go through the AVR. If the one you select doesn't have two HDMI outputs, you'd have to get a switch for that, too, of course.

18. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Originally Posted by Selden Ball

19. jheiser

jheiser Agent

Jason-I'm going to run both for the same reason Selden said. However, I do agree with you on avoiding the purchase of another center and re-configuring things. The cost would probable add up to a bulb for the projector.
    But this room is going to be kind of multi-purpose and some nights I am sure I will fall asleep out here with the TV on lol so I want to find ~32'' TV for more casual viewing and use the projector for big games and movies.

Selden-I like your options. I think I may try to just mount the pull down screen 7 inches off the wall or so. Just enough so when I pull it down it can clear the TV mounted on the wall. Will this affect the projector screen and the way it sits?

My idea so far was an HDMI switch, converting one out into two. I think that will be my easiest option to run both in HD.

Thanks for the input.

20. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    James,

I don't think having the TV behind the screen will cause any significant problems.

You didn't show where the speakers are going to be: I'm assuming the fronts will be just off the sides of the screen and the center below it. Placing speakers so one is right next to a wall, and the other is offset with respect to the center of the room introduces some problems. (Mine are arranged like that, too.) Good center speaker performance can be an issue, too, depending on its mounting, height and how it's pointed toward the listener. An AVR which includes Audyssey room equalization can help somewhat, but it's not a panacea.

Pull-down (and pull-up) screens have their own issues. They gradually stretch, causing ripples to develop in the surface, for example. The more expensive designs include tensioning wires to keep them pulled taut. I use a relatively inexpensive pull-up screen and just live with the slight visual imperfections.