What's new

Help choosing new Receiver.. (1 Viewer)

BigMikey

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello, I'm looking to buy new receiver, since my old is giving me issues. I been looking at the ONKYO TX-NR717 due to all the hdmi ports and due to dual hdmi out ports. Is there something better? Since reviews i read are mixed.. Any help would be great. Looking to stay under $550... Thanks

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
That Onkyo is nice. What's your goal, 5.1, 7.1? Going to be used more for music, or movies, or both. And, what are your room dimensions? What is your current speaker configuration (brand/size)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For $550...the NR717 is it. Onkyo(and if you can find threads all over the place...) has ruled the roost when it comes to market share. They have roughly 40% to themselves. When you sell the most, you have the most failures... Basically Onkyo is to CE as Toyota is to cars... Are you not buying a Toyota right now? They've had more recalls in the last 3 years...than they had in their prior 30.

BigMikey

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Brainwasher said:
That Onkyo is nice. What's your goal, 5.1, 7.1? Going to be used more for music, or movies, or both. And, what are your room dimensions? What is your current speaker configuration (brand/size)?
Right now I got 5.1 setup.. Plan on adding more speakers soon.. My room setup is 16x19 w/ vaulted ceiling.. I do all games,movies, and etc.. My front speakers are Yamaha IN Wall 6-1/2, my center, rear and sub are JBL not sure on size came with speaker setup My sub on back says JBL Sub 145. quick check on amazon, these may be speakers i got http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Channel-SCS145-5-Surround-Speaker/dp/B000VZP040
schan1269 said:
For $550...the NR717 is it. Onkyo(and if you can find threads all over the place...) has ruled the roost when it comes to market share. They have roughly 40% to themselves. When you sell the most, you have the most failures... Basically Onkyo is to CE as Toyota is to cars... Are you not buying a Toyota right now? They've had more recalls in the last 3 years...than they had in their prior 30.
Ya i was looking at 515, think that was model, but reviews are so bad, so it got me little concern on it.. Unless there something I dont know about it..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The reviews I find on the NR515 are what I would expect for the number one seller on the market. There are lemons. So what. The main reason I wouldn't buy the 515 are the spring loaded speaker terminals. No binding posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks