What's new

Help? Choosing graphing calculator for Senior Math (1 Viewer)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
HP doesn't make calculators anymore? My 48GX died a couple of months ago after 10 years of hard use and I went right out and bought another, no problems finding one at all. The store had a fair amount of them as well as the newer 49 although I haven't heard anything good about the 49.

You'll have to pry the 48 from my dead hands, I'll take it over any other calculator on the market.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
You'll have to pry the 48 from my dead hands, I'll take it over any other calculator on the market.
I'll second that. It's not a fast calculator, but it's reliable as hell... I'm currently working on key-assignments using keyman, so I can have several different fucntions on one key, depending on whether I double-click or hold-long and stuff like that... :)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Does TI even make the TI-92 anymore?
It has a QWERT keyboard and runs a version of Derive which means it can solve all kinds of equations. When you get into statistics and are doing triple integrals calculators like that are nice :)
For instance, I had a Periodic Table on mine to aid in Chemistry last year.
Wow Andrew, times have changed... when I was in high school if the teacher caught you doing that you would fail :)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Remember, the 48G-series is 10 years old!!!
hehe, I've had several professors and coworkers who used HPs that looked so old I wondered if they used a steam engine (okay, so that was a bad joke).

I'd recommend an HP if you plan on going into engineering. The RPN takes a while to get used to, but once you turn you'll never go back. It's just so much faster once you get the hang of it.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I am a student who is terrible at Math and hove the hp48gx to thank for getting me through highschool and undergrad. It takes about a week to learn how to use but after that curve it does everything. I have not dealt with the newer ti's but I know that the 82 and 85 cannot touch it.

Cool, the TI-89 solves equations?! like if you say 10=y-5, then it'd solve it for Y? Sweet
The hp does the same, in addition there is a mode that will let you input the equations exactly like they appear on the paper. Plus there is a built in equation library that lets you plug in variables and it will solve. Everything from the area of a triangle and up, with pictures!

The gx is expandable (calculus card saved me!) the g is not. Worth a look.

-rob

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Andrew, times have changed... when I was in high school if the teacher caught you doing that you would fail :)
It wasn’t considered Cheating since in Chemistry (At least Regents High School Chemistry), they give you a Reference Table which has the Periodic Table in it. Having the table available on the Calculator just made it more accessible and sometimes easier to search around. I also remember trading a Science Program that would Convert Units and properly calculate Significant Figures with my Chemistry teacher (he greatly appreciated it since it was a major time saver).
During the State Regents, they claimed that they would check all of our calculators to make sure we didn’t have an “unfair” programs stored on it, but that was never enforced.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I had a good one in college but rarely used it.It's much faster to do in your head.
Never hit the wrong key that way

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Has anybody tried OVERCLOCKING Their TI's? It looks like a pretty simple procedure... But itll be hard to find the right capacitor locally:
http://leaven.com/ti/ti.htm
More power! arrrr arrr arrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks