What's new

Help appraising a Stratocaster... (1 Viewer)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Hopefully someone on the forum might know something about ascertaining the resale value of a Fender Stratocaster guitar. I got it used from a Strat enthusiast, and it was in fantastic condition, and was improved by some aftermarket parts.

It's a Mexican-made Strat (serial MN9.....), "Midnight Wine" burgundy color, two single coil, one humbucking (near the bridge), 5-way switch, maple neck, rosewood(?) fretboard, finished wood pickguard (oak), chrome knobs.

I have no idea what this would be worth, apart from what I paid for it.

Does anyone know how much this guitar is worth?

-JNS

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
These retail for around $450-500CAN new. The color and fretboard are standard issue. The aftermarket parts are probably another $50-80 new. There is not much special about the Mexis since there are hundreds of thousands of them (even though I personally prefer them to the US made ones), so resale value isn't that strong maybe $300-400?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It really depends on the buyer. If they like the upgrades, it is worth more, if not, less. If it were stock, you might be able to get $350 for it, but with new ones being available for not a lot more, it is tough to say. A lot would depend on how well it is set up too. Does it have a case?

I am also assuming this isn't a Squier.

If I were buying it myself, I'd be looking at the build quality, the condition of the neck/frets, how the grain on the neck is, if there is any figure in the wood - all things that could add or detract from what I'd pay for it.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
It is not a Squier, and it is in fantastic shape. Looking at the wood, I see good grain and no discontinuities. There is not a scratch on it. Action is fine, no buzzing, intonation is good. Comes with a hard shell case that is also in great shape. Also comes with shoulder strap.

I'll try to pass this whole package off at $449 CDN, or best offer. That ought to be fair. I just don't play it nearly enough.

Hope the classified ads in the local paper yield some buyers :)

-JNS

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With the case, $400-425 isn't unreasonable. Like I said, a new one can be bought for only $75 to $100 more without a case, so it will depend on how much added value your buyer sees in the upgrades.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Strats routinely come with humbuckers these days (known as "Fat Strats"), so there's nothing disgraceful about it - in fact I prefer mine with a Floyd Rose which is even more of a sin, but I prefer a tremolo that stays in tune. :D

I'd ask for $449 (no harm in asking), but be prepared to sell at $425.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
for all your guitaring/musicing needs, head over to

harmony-central.

since i cant type the URL because these boards are a bit on the spam-nazi side of things, just put three double-you's and a dot infront of harmony-central, followed by a dot and the word "Com"

look around the nav bar for "disucssion forums"

awsome forums, lots of fun, and INSANELY FAST.

i usually get multiple replies within 5 minutes.

i'm a guitar player myself, i'm on a G&L Legacy into a Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ amp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks