Help a Newbie

Discussion in 'Displays' started by derrick_rp, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derrick_rp

derrick_rp Auditioning

Hi, I have been a home theater geek for quite a while, but until recently (college graduation), couldn't play. I am now in the market for a rphdtv and it looks as though bang for the buck on dlp and lcd is not where I would like, so I will almost definitely be going the crt route.

How much of a problem is burn in? I know it is ridiculous in plasma from work experience, and I imagine it has been reduced quite a bit in the rptv, due to being a more refined tech.

Also, I am considering the Toshiba 46H83, but have read people complaining about dud units and huge backorder on replacement parts one one model in particular, does this problem transcend the brand?

Also, any suggestions you have to offer would be highly appreciated. I am trying to spend less than 2k but a skosh over wouldn't kill me. THANKS !!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Not as much as salesmen and some user manuals would lead you to believe, but it is still a problem and can ruin your display.

The good news is that there are a several measures that you can take that will reduce your risk substantially—to the point that you can view 4:3, 2.35:1 movies and 4:3 TV on a 16:9 display in their intended aspect ratio and still not have a burn-in problem.

First, calibrate your set. When you first get the set make sure that you use setup menu to put the video in a ‘normal’ or perhaps a ‘pro’ mode. Stay far away from ones that use terms like ‘vivid’—these are the settings used in showroom displays—and they are very bright so that the ambient light in many stores does not wash out the picture. These very bright settings reduce the life of your screen and hasten burn-in.

Purchase a Video Essentials (VE) or AVIA disk and calibrate your set. This will get you close to the NTSC standards and you will see a picture displayed the way it was intended. Many people find that the brightness color and contrast are quite reduced from what they expect—so give yourself a week or so to get used to the new settings. Do this again after about 500 hours. If you want to get the best picture possible, pay an ISF technician to come and calibrate your set. Most people are very pleased with the results, but this will cost $250–$500.

Many TV displays, satellite receivers and DVD players generate gray side bars when 4:3 material is displayed on a 16:9 screen. The gray excites those portions of the screen that would normally be blank (the black bars) on this kind of programming, so the major cause of burn-in is avoided.

A good much of what I watch on TV is HD—usually in 16:9 except for commercials and station breaks. Aside from the sheer pleasure of watching HD TV, this won’t cause burn-in.

I stretch a good many talking head shows, such as the news, weather, Letterman, etc. True I’m not getting the correct aspect ratio, but I don’t really think that McNeill cares if I think he has a fat face.

I watch a lot of old, classic, 4:3 movies both from channels like TCM and on DVD. So far I have had no hint of burn-in.

3. derrick_rp

derrick_rp Auditioning

I will definately have a computer on an input. I can do things to keep from having a static image on the screen (hiding task bars, desktop icons and using quick screen saver settings). Is there anyone with an idea of how burn in compares to burn in on plasma? I am familiar with how quickly it burns in on plasma (at least in the $6000 range plama). I am hoping that projection would burn less quickly. I may decide to put up with an inferior picture (as i understand it) and go with dlp, if it is a significant risk.

4. derrick_rp

derrick_rp Auditioning

oh btw, thanks [​IMG]

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.