What's new

Help! 5.1 humming noise (1 Viewer)

SenorPip

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello,

I have a new 5.1 system connected to my TV. I have definitive technologies speakers (front left/right, center and 2 surrounds) and a pioneer vsx 525 AV receiver. It works fine in terms of sound production (actually it sounds great!) except there is this terrible buzz/hum sounds that comes out of the front left/right and center speakers whenever the receiver is turned on. The surrounds are fine. It is always a constant decibal level and doesn't matter what volume I have the receiver set at. I have read a lot about ground loops and while I don't entirely understand it, I have tried a few steps to see if thats the problem - disconnected the Verizon Fios box/wire, disconnected various HDMI, etc... However, nothing seems to make the buzz stop. It is present on all input settings on the receiver (Sat/Cbl, DVD, game, etc...).

Any advice on what to do? Is it a problem with my receiver? My speakers?

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you using a separate sub?What is the crossover? Ground loops are 60hz. So it should only be the subwoofer in your system...unless you don't have one.

SenorPip

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Yes I have a sub that came with the speakers. It is attached to the receiver. All speakers are attached directly to the receiver as are all components with one single hdmi out going to the TV. As for "crossover" I'm sorry I don't know what that means

SenorPip

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Ok so any ideas on what I can do regarding the issue. Does it have something to do with my sub? I've tried unplugging and disconnecting it but that doesn't change anything.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So...What are the speakers themselves? What crossover did you choose?Are you using a shielded subwoofer cable?Is the sub connected to the same circuit as everything? Can't help you unless you understand those questions.

iluvgr8tdeals

Auditioning
Try and check on 'ground loop isolator' on Amazon. A friend of mine purchased a simple system and it had the annoying '60 hz buzz' and we installed this product, the TII ground loop isolator. It stopped the buzz. Good luck!

iluvgr8tdeals

Auditioning
Try and check on 'ground loop isolator' on Amazon. A friend of mine purchased a simple system and it had the annoying '60 hz buzz' and we installed this product, the TII ground loop isolator. It stopped the buzz. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks