Hellraiser 1 & 2: DiviMax?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Blough, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I was wondering if Anchor Bay plans on releasing DiviMax versions of Hellraiser 1 & 2. I've been holding out on buying the original DVDs for the longest time. Since AB has done new editions of the Halloween movies you would think HR 1 & 2 would be next. Anybody have any info? Thanks.

2. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Since it's Anchor Bay, I'm betting it's almost certain at some point. [​IMG]

The current releases are actually pretty nice. But I'm actually surprised that they haven't double-dipped the first two Hellraisers as much as they have Evil Dead or Halloween. Give em time. [​IMG]

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

If you can find the original 2-pack, I'd probably buy it. My Best Buy still has a couple copies at ~17 bucks. The transfers are pretty good if I recall.

4. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Interesting, I thought the 2-pack was long out of print. However, Best Buy and Amazon both carry it... I might just bite the bullet and go for it. The Divimax editions probably wouldn't be that much improved anyway.

5. robGray

robGray Auditioning

I will only replace my copy of Hellraiser if the uncut version is released.

6. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I thought the region 1 DVD of Hellraiser was already uncut or are you talking about another region?

7. robGray

robGray Auditioning

As far as i know the region 1 DVD is the R rated version. I have the limited edition tin version that came with the unrated version of Hellraiser 2.

8. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Yeah I know, I thought the R rated version was the uncut version. I could be wrong though.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's my understanding as well but I could be wrong. Hellraiser II has had an uncut version since the VHS days but I thought that the original didn't need to cut anything for an R rating.

10. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    The original was trimmed a little bit to get an R rating as well. As far as I know, those several extra seconds of footage that were cut no longer exist, but a bigger fan may know the exact details of what they were, etc. I think the "Jesus wept" sequence was trimmed for the R.

11. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Now that you mention it, I always felt the "Jesus wept" sequence was trimmed. It seems to cut away rather quickly.

12. robGray

robGray Auditioning

From IMDB.com: At the time of the movie's release the MPAA had an agenda on "intensity of tone". As a result of this director Clive Barker had to make several cuts to his film: consecutive hammer blows, fingers entering flesh, S&M spanking between Julia and Frank, additional "thrusts" during the sex scene, all with the intention of watering down the overall impact of the piece.

13. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    There is only the R rated version available in Region 1 (I have no idea about any other region). This disc looks pretty good.

I'm still waiting to see what direction Anchor Bay will take with hi-def. I can't seem to get a peep out of them.

Mike